• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard start, hot or cold.

Started having an issue a couple days ago. Had to crank the engine over way longer than normal. Drove to work and shut the truck off and it started right back up. Tried about 15 minutes later and the hard start issue returned. The angle the truck is parked doesn't seem to have any effect on the issue. Have tried completely removing the edge comp and it was no help. Checked for any codes, none stored. Checked over the fuel system and didn't have any leaks. Has bluish white smoke when it does finally start. Seems to start easier and faster if I give it a little throttle while cranking. Runs great after getting it started.

--- Update to the previous post...

Thought it could possibly be the injectors leaking into the cylinders causing it to be hard starting.

Fuel pressure at idle is 18, WOT is 15. Cranked it over again to make sure of the pressure and it cranked until it hit 11 then started. Never hit me until now but might have a weak battery or two and don't have enough power to keep the pump running fast enough.

--- Update to the previous post...

It started all at once, it wasn't gradual.

Load tested batteries and they checked out fine. Noticed something weird, not sure if it is related or not but here goes. On my way to work the other day and hit a bump in the road while I happened to be looking at my fuel pressure gauge. Before I hit the bump in the road I had 17 psi, after the bump it had dropped to about 14.5 psi. I know it isn't very smart but I then purposely hit a pothole in the road and the gauge started reading 17 psi again. I have tried bumping the gauge pod to get the gauge to screw up with no luck so I think the gauge is working correctly. On a different note, I had read a thread on here about parking the front end up hill or down hill. So I tried it again on a steeper incline than my driveway. Starts right up with no problems with the front end pointed downhill. Had to bump the key and let the pump cycle a couple times before I could even get it started when the front end was facing up hill. Can't see to find the thread now, but still looking.

sounds like a fuel leak maybe at the return tee or return line off the back of the head. The tee you can see looking over the fuel canister towards the rear of the engine. The banjo on the back of the head you cant see, but you can reach around the head and feel it and tell if it is leaking.

you said blueish white smoke?Did you check for fuel in oil? It hard starts up hill but not down hill, did you check for fuel leaks using baby powder?When up hill plug your truck in and see if the problem goes away.Try starting your truck once it bleeds out and runs good then turn around and shut it off, wait 10 mins and perform test again if it starts up fine then it is not a computer issue but a fuel leak.You can pull your valve cover, if its leaking past the injector you will know (it will be obvious), if not suspect the front of the VP-44 causing fuel to leak past the front of the pump into the crank case.

you said blueish white smoke? Did you check for fuel in oil? It hard starts up hill but not down hill, did you check for fuel leaks using baby powder? When up hill plug your truck in and see if the problem goes away. Try starting your truck once it bleeds out and runs good then turn around and shut it off, wait 10 mins and perform test again if it starts up fine then it is not a computer issue but a fuel leak. You can pull your valve cover, if its leaking past the injector you will know (it will be obvious), if not suspect the front of the VP-44 causing fuel to leak past the front of the pump into the crank case.

It is more of a greyish white than blueish white. Have no signs of fuel in the oil. Have checked for leaks but not with baby powder, haven't been able to get very in depth yet due to weather and the lack of a garage. Temperature doesn't seem to matter. It is hard to start when it has say all night in 20 degree weather or after sitting 15 minutes after shutting it down at 190 degree coolant temp. The only time it doesn't have the hard start issue is with the front end pointed downhill. I would guess between a 10-15 degree incline and it starts fine. Less than that it won't start without excessive cranking. Even with cycling the key and bumping the starter and letting the pump build pressure up. It seems to help if I hold it about half throttle while cranking. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

It is more of a greyish white than blueish white. Have no signs of fuel in the oil. Have checked for leaks but not with baby powder, haven't been able to get very in depth yet due to weather and the lack of a garage. Temperature doesn't seem to matter. It is hard to start when it has say all night in 20 degree weather or after sitting 15 minutes after shutting it down at 190 degree coolant temp. The only time it doesn't have the hard start issue is with the front end pointed downhill. I would guess between a 10-15 degree incline and it starts fine. Less than that it won't start without excessive cranking. Even with cycling the key and bumping the starter and letting the pump build pressure up. It seems to help if I hold it about half throttle while cranking. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

the greyish smoke is a timing knock from the pump being dry. did you do the blot test with the oil to see, sometimes its harder to notice if there is fuel in the oil unless a blot test is done. Sounds like a external leak, but im not ready to write off the VP-44 its self yet. do the baby powder test and confirm, next you should tighten the fittings on the engine and going to the back of the head. Have you done anything strange lately, noticed anything unusual about the engine. When the front seal on my Vp-44 went it was subtle took 6 months for me to figure it out, but now it hard starts in the cold, and when level but not down hill, when its above 40f its fine.

the greyish smoke is a timing knock from the pump being dry. did you do the blot test with the oil to see, sometimes its harder to notice if there is fuel in the oil unless a blot test is done. Sounds like a external leak, but im not ready to write off the VP-44 its self yet. do the baby powder test and confirm, next you should tighten the fittings on the engine and going to the back of the head. Have you done anything strange lately, noticed anything unusual about the engine. When the front seal on my Vp-44 went it was subtle took 6 months for me to figure it out, but now it hard starts in the cold, and when level but not down hill, when its above 40f its fine.

Didn't do the blot test. Have to read on how to do it again. The oil was just changed before this started and it isn't thinned out and the level hasn't changed any. I have eliminated the edge box and it didn't change. I did have a couple small leaks at the pushlock fittings but have stopped them and tested with baby powder today. With no change in the condition. This all happed at once. Started up and left for work and it was fine, went to come home and the problem was there. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Did find another leak after cleaning everything off on top of the fuel tank. I'm not very happy with the push lock fittings. Just got back from driving to get the air out of everything, which means I'm playing the waiting game. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Did you put new sealing washers on the return bolt on the back of the head. Did mine a week ago and at first I thought there were just flat washers on it. when I looked at them real close I could see they were sealling washer but the rubber was hard and it just felt like a flat washer.