• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stock turbo for sled pulling

Hey guys my local pulling association just made some new rules for a stock diesel pulling class, it says you can only use a turbo that came stock on your make model and year truck. So what I am wondering is what is the best turbo I can put on my truck? Also do you think it is possible that a hybrid 35/40 would be able to be picked up by a instpector and or maybe would not help me. Thanks:thumbup2:

Technically if you put a hybrid HX35/40 it is still on a stock based turbo. Nothing stating the stock HX35 can't be modified.:thumbup2:

--- Update to the previous post...

I dont know for sure, maybe it is a hy how can you tell for sure does it say on the turbo.

Your 99 should have came with an HX35 the HY didn't come along until later on.

There is an ID plate on the center section and will say HY or hx 35 for a model.

The Hx has a boost elbow with a hose attached to it and the hy doesn't the hy has an external linkage that controls the wastegate.

• Like 1

Yeh mine has the external wastgate so must be a hx as for the hybrid that exactly what I was thinking. Thanks

If you turbo has a soft tube going to the wastegate then its a HX, if it is hard piping then its a HY..... All that aside your a 99, they didn't swap the turbo's over until you hit the modified Tm trucks with 235HP pumps on them. the stock HX-35 should do you good. if not then a hybrid is in order.