• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

module upgrade understanding

Well i got around to having a few friends come over today and help me pull the bed off my ole' dodge. I didnt get much done as far and fuel system is concerned, just popped the module out and kinda started figuring it all out. I didnt need to verify a few things?First- my draw straws the hard plastic type. My mosude has the supply and return coiling down to the bottom. Now from what i understand i completely remove the return because it will now just dump from the milled aluminum topper woth the holes in the bottom? And if i have the hard plastic type straw ( vulcan draw straw I ) i juwt need to fit it uo to meet the bottom of the strainer basket correct?Second- i would assume even know im not running a fass type system yet , i should still drill the appropriate holes in the bottom of the module to lwt the fuel flow,from the module holding area back into the tank?

Not trying to be a grammar nazi, but wow! LOL ;)I've yet to determine why people pull the bed off, rather than pop a couple lines loose, take 2 nuts off, and drop the tank; that's what I do, and it takes me about 20 minutes to have the tank out from under the truck, with hand tools. :)At any rate, what exactly are you doing? Installing a draw straw?

• Like 1

rogan- sorry spelling wasn't my strongest point. LOL as far as what im trying to accomplish ill re-cap for you.THE PROBLEM- My fuel supply or return line (one or the other) started leaking on top of the tank.THE SOLUTION (hopefully)- to install a draw straw I, to replace the rusted old connections where it was leaking from, and ALSO to install 1/2 inch feed lines and 5/16 return lines becasue the ones in there now look less then PAR.as far as taking the bed off i had two reasons-i didn't feel like wrestling with the tank as it has a little over 1/4 tank in it- now i get to give the frame and everything else a nice coat of POR 15if it wasnt for that i would have left it on becasue LET ME TELL YOU, truck beds get alot heavier when theirs 200 LBS of modified stone frozen to the plastic bed liner:lol:. good thing i had 3 good friends to help me with the lifting.

moparman- those rusty lines are exactly the reason im replacing the feed and return lines with nice new rubber.but im still corn-fused as far as the draw straw goes. do i just put it in place of the factory feed and return lines and call it a day? or do i have to connect it up to whatever the two original lines went to? i have the module out and sitting on my bench....i kinda just keep doing this:banghead:

• Staff

moparman- those rusty lines are exactly the reason im replacing the feed and return lines with nice new rubber. but im still corn-fused as far as the draw straw goes. do i just put it in place of the factory feed and return lines and call it a day? or do i have to connect it up to whatever the two original lines went to? i have the module out and sitting on my bench....i kinda just keep doing this:banghead:

I can try to help out here maybe. That's a big maybe btw. I would drill out the spot where you have the leaking line for the new draw straw and hopefully you can place the return line on what used to be the feed line (BIGGER).

ok so heres what i gotpost-10727-138698183366_thumb.jpgthats what i got as far as the stock setup was concerned post-10727-138698183375_thumb.jpgi clipped the old supply line that went down into the screen, no big deal, the problem now is that that little coil line that does to the module top and is capped off is preventing it from sitting verticle, PLUS the issue of THIS post-10727-138698183381_thumb.jpg the draw straw ALSO wont be in the middle of the module to go down into that hole where the old setup did.whatta ya guys think?

The way I like to do things with the tank is to pull the three screws at the filler door, remove all the bolts (15mm) from the bed except the rear bolts (8 bolts total on a long box, 6 on a short box). Loosen the rear bolts to allow them to act as a hinge. Lift the front of the box and BLOCK IT UP [VERY important so it won't fall on you]. Then everything you need to reach is at a comfortable height to work on. There are times that fittings just don't want to cooperate so it just makes access way easier.