• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Question on metal filings!

From what I see it looks ok... Magnets don't have chunks on them...:rolleyes: How about the rest of ya...

Next time I post pics I will use a camera and take alittle more time. It was just a bit awkward and with my iphone that didn't want to cooperate. haha. Anyways, didn't see any marks or chunks out of teeth and at the bottum of hte differential there was only oil, no filings or chunks. Wiped it out good, cleaned it up and sealed it back on there. Hoping I don't have any problems with it. BTW, it was nice to chat with you guys last night. We will have to do it again soon sometime! Thanks!

Take a prybar and pry the carrier housing side to side to check how much play or preload is on the bearings if it is tight I wouldn't worry if there is movement I would pull the carrier and inspect things. Danas are noted for spinning the carrier bearings inside the case if preload gets loose. This will cause fine silt like iron as well as if you spin one wheel a lot since it is an open carrier the side thrust washers on the spider gears will wear a bit and cause fine iron silt too.

• Like 1

Could be the guy that rebuilt it did not drain the oil after a short break-in period and refill with fresh oil again :shrug:Should be obvious wear patterns on the teeth if there is too much backlash.If it's not making noise, I don't think I would worry too much.

• Like 1

Could be the guy that rebuilt it did not drain the oil after a short break-in period and refill with fresh oil again :shrug: Should be obvious wear patterns on the teeth if there is too much backlash. If it's not making noise, I don't think I would worry too much.

This :iagree::iagree: I have never had to mess with the rear end, just changed the fluid at 50,000 miles, and the metal shavings, (the silt) has not returned, so im saying he should flush the fluid out as best as possible then refill, and maybe drain and refill again down the road, in a few thousand just to make sure.
  • Like 1

did you take a close look at the speed sensor ring?if it's possible the ring is making contact in the housing causing the shavings you found on the speed sensor.why did you replace it to begin with?

I replaced it because it fell apart and it set off ABS light, brake light and speedometer stopped working.

--- Update to the previous post...

Thanks guys! I did drain and replace oil. No shavings in there. Must have just caught the speed sensor when the rear end was first replaced. I think its good. Probably change oil again next oil change to do a final check to make sure.