• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Low power CTD issue - KyCTD

Posting this issue for KyCTD since we talked about it in the chat last night and told him I would type it out for him. Bought a 2001 auto CTD that ran fine. One day he started getting on it pretty good and then it just turned into a really doggy truck, slower than any stock truck. Described it as "Geo metro being pushed by a yugo with a 30mph tailwind lol". Found it also had a cracked block. Scrapped the engine and found a 2000 donor truck which was also an auto. Put the engine in using the 2001 ECM and it ran but something wasn't right. Found out the cams were different, switched the cams and that made it run perfect. He used the 2000 VP as well, not the one off the 2001 cracked block. Today or yesterday he was driving along and then it did the same thing. Same slow doggy thing that it was with the other block. It has a new FASS and 18psi idle and WOT. Also has edge comp. Says the edge does nothing, levels 1-5. It has the 1693 companion code which he is finding the other codes out tomorrow and will bring them back to this thread so we can jump into this issue further. Seems like it's in some sort of limp mode, bout all we could figure in the chat room, looking forward to codes. There you have it. I'll let KyCTD take it from here when he gets back tomorrow.

I know we do not have cat's in our trucks, but I have a 97 Jimmy that had a plugged cat and it was about like he described. I am wondering if something could be plugging the exhast and when he got on it it popped it loose then when he changed the engine he somehow dislodged it only to have it block the exhast again? I have always heard start with the cheap and easy first, it is probably something more involved, but it would not hurt looking into airflow first.

IMO sounds like the VP-44 might be failing. My Vp-44's timing is shot so sometimes the truck runs good, sometimes its dogging depending on the position of the timing cam.Alothout the only thing i can also think of is that the 2000 had the HX-35 turbo not the HY-35, and this different emissions setup's, i think both the Cam's and the turbo's were different between the 1999-2001 trucks.

I think you guys missed that he had the exact same issue on the other engine. He used the 00' vp so both vp's had the same issue which pretty well says its not the vp.

Having a that for an issue could be ecm related, but my truck does the same thing, only when its really cold out sometimes, but then again my timing piston is finished. Does he have an EGT gauge to measure the temps when it happens? Maybe he should take it to Cummins and see if their Insite program can find something that the smarty won't

Due to all the storms here today I was not able to get the rest of the codes, I will have them tomorrow as I went ahead and ordered a scangauge2 for the heck of it and will get it scanned when i go pick it up at autozone.

I went out this morning to warm the truck up before taking my daughter to school, now the check engine light is not on and truck ran great this morning and afternoon, I know I still need to get the other codes and will do so and report back tomorrow. Thanks for the help

--- Update to the previous post...

Well today I was able to get it scanned and it only came up with a PO237 code. The CEL is still out and its still running fine so maybe it was a glitch or I have a wiring issue due to the engine just recently being replaced.

• Owner

P0237 code... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/167-p0237-map-sensor-voltage-too-low You might want to run through the diagnostics on that page... That could be the source of your limp mode and lack of power. When the ECM can't see the boost pressure it goes to limp mode to protect itself from damage...