• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2012 3500 Mega cab 4x4 DRW - towing advice?

philhyde

Hello all, We are going to be full-timing in our RV soon and will be purchasing a fifth wheel. Our current truck isn't up to the task, so I'm looking at 2012 Dodge Ram trucks. As far as the official capacities go, the 3500 crew cab long bed has the highest towing numbers. However, as we have looked closely at the crew cab, it has an "odd" middle seat that is about 5" less deep. This is playing havoc with our middle rear facing infant seat. So, we are looking at the mega cab. Unfortunately the official capacities on the mega cab are way less than the crew cab. Official payload is 2,550lb vs 4,430lb. Likewise, the GCWR is less by around 4,000lb. I ran across this discussion, which claims that the DRW mega cab uses the same springs as the SRW version, which explains its lower payload numbers. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25680987/srt/pa/pging/1/page/3 The assumption is that since the mega cab and crew cab DRW trucks both use the 9,350lb rear axle, their payloads should be more or less the same. Air bags have been proposed as a solution (if needed) for the lower spring rates. The underlying capacity seems to be there (axle rating). I'm a little worried about the combined rating, though. We are looking at a 14,000lb GVWR fifth wheel. The GCWR on the mega cab is 21,500lb so we might be "close". Thanks for any insight.

• Staff

I would have to look at a DRW MC to see the pack to confirm. I read the first post in that link and wasn't very impressed with the posters depth of knowledge, so some confirmations would be needed.

Dodge has always given the MC DRW a lower GVWR than the CC or QC (3rd gen), despite the same axle/spring ratings as well as same frame (3rd gen). There has to be a reason for it, and all I can figure is that it deals with the long body and short bed, thou they do rate the rear axle at the same 9350#'s that all DRW's have.

My buddy as a 2012 3599 SRW MC and is has the 3500 springs, just not the overloads.

Can you snag a pic of the springs on the MC DRW?

Bottom line is that most people feel the GVWR is wrong on the MC; however a typo would only last a year and not the 7 model years that it has. There has to be a reason, but your guess is as good as mine.

My 05 QC seats are quite short, front to rear, and I have had several different infant car seats in the middle (only place they fit rear facing in a 3rd gen). Personally I would get the truck that suits your needs best and find a different car seat as you will use the car seat for 12-24 months, and hopefully the truck for a lot longer. Car seats are also far cheaper to make work than a truck.

--- Update to the previous post...

Either way, if you get an automatic be sure to get 4.10 gears, with the double OD's of the 68RFE you will not burn any more fuel empty than the higher gears, and it will tow a LOT better.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have any way to quickly get a picture of the springs, but maybe the next time I'm out kicking tires.Regarding the car seat, I still need to take our seat and do a test fitting. Only way to tell.On the last point, I was going to comment that the 3500 I drove with 4.10's turned under 2K RPM's at 70MPH. My '06 G56 turns around 2200RPM. :wow:

When I bought my 02 there was a 4k differance in the combined weight from an auto to a manual tranny. The auto were rated at 16k and the manuals were rated at 20k. I supposed you are comparing auto to auto and manual to manual. I have not looked at one lately to even know what they are rated at now. I have the 6080# rated axle, tow a fifth wheel and weigh in at just under 23k. I know that exceeds the weight limit but it does a good job. I am by no means encouraging you to do this, that is a choice that is up to you. I also only move mine maybe 4k mile a year, but it has always been up to the task.

About 6 weeks ago I had to get brick for my mason. I picked up 2 cubes, 1080 brick. That is about 6k pounds and put it all in the bed. The truck went to the overloads and stopped. She sat dead level, no sqautting. That is a 4 leaf pack with overload. Youe could definately feel the load over bumps. Much heavier than the RV. I really dont want todo that much. But it wasnice to know I can do it in a pinch.

• Staff

About 6 weeks ago I had to get brick for my mason. I picked up 2 cubes, 1080 brick. That is about 6k pounds and put it all in the bed. The truck went to the overloads and stopped. She sat dead level, no sqautting. That is a 4 leaf pack with overload. Youe could definately feel the load over bumps. Much heavier than the RV. I really dont want todo that much. But it wasnice to know I can do it in a pinch.

What do you run for tires?

I'd say just a touch.. 6830 is your tire limit, you were probably in the 9,000lb rear axle range.

I'd say you would be fairly accurate on the weight. It was an emergency. hope not to do it again.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have any way to quickly get a picture of the springs, but maybe the next time I'm out kicking tires.

Regarding the car seat, I still need to take our seat and do a test fitting. Only way to tell.

On the last point, I was going to comment that the 3500 I drove with 4.10's turned under 2K RPM's at 70MPH. My '06 G56 turns around 2200RPM. :wow:

I did not see the under 2k at 70mph with a 4.10. Auto or Manual?

• Staff

I guess the lower rpm is due to the dbl OD AH was tlking about. My wifes dakota has it. 4th is .74 or .75 to one and 5th is .63 or .64 to one. It cruises ok but want go anywhere unless you put your foot in it,

The 68RFE uses a .82 and a .63, great for towing and empty cruising.

The difference between the Mega cab and Quad Cab capacities are due to the extra weight of the MC and the needed structural support. This extra weight must still be hauled around so the load amount has to be smaller by the extra weight of the cab. If you will look at the Dodge web site you will see that the capacity of the 3500 SRW is higher the the DRW for the same reason. It's the fenders and extra wheels and rims of the DRW that make the difference.For conversations sake let's say the GVWR of the three 3500 series trucks is 10K (easy math). And the curb weights plus allowable cargo, are as follows:3500 SRW curb weight is 8250 + 1750 cargo = 10K3500 DRW " " " 8500 + 1500 cargo = 10K3500 DRW MC " " 8750 + 1250 cargo = 10KThis is just a visual example and not the actual weights, but you get the idea. HTH

• Staff

The difference between the Mega cab and Quad Cab capacities are due to the extra weight of the MC and the needed structural support. This extra weight must still be hauled around so the load amount has to be smaller by the extra weight of the cab. If you will look at the Dodge web site you will see that the capacity of the 3500 SRW is higher the the DRW for the same reason. It's the fenders and extra wheels and rims of the DRW that make the difference. For conversations sake let's say the GVWR of the three 3500 series trucks is 10K (easy math). And the curb weights plus allowable cargo, are as follows: 3500 SRW curb weight is 8250 + 1750 cargo = 10K 3500 DRW " " " 8500 + 1500 cargo = 10K 3500 DRW MC " " 8750 + 1250 cargo = 10K This is just a visual example and not the actual weights, but you get the idea. HTH

But this is not the case with the MC DRW as it doesn't have the same GVWR as non MC DRW's. If it had the same 12,300 GVWR then yes this would be true, but it's GVWR is only 10,500, so Ram is leaving 1,800lbs on the table right there. A DRW MC is within 100lbs of the same weight as a CC DRW.

But this is not the case with the MC DRW as it doesn't have the same GVWR as non MC DRW's. If it had the same 12,300 GVWR then yes this would be true, but it's GVWR is only 10,500, so Ram is leaving 1,800lbs on the table right there.

A DRW MC is within 100lbs of the same weight as a CC DRW.

Well in that case, it can only be something like, having a smaller rearend, frame flex causing problems, or something of that nature. It sure doesn't make since other wise.

Went online this morning and found the 2012 load and towing specs.

A 2012 Crew cab 3500 2wd short box has a 10,100 GVWR and a GCWR of 21K w/3:73 and 24K w/4:10

With the Mega Cab they are all over the place depending on St,SLT,Laramie,Longhorn.

According to the PDF file the 3:73 has a higher GVWR (11,100) vs 4:10 (10,500) which makes no sense, as the GCWR is greater for the 4:10 by 2,700#.

It is clear that the 3500 MC has both a higher GVWR and GCWR than a QC 3500 with the $wd versions going even higher.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/RAM.2500.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf

Perhaps the max tow pkg rating is getting confused with the normal spec. for towing without the Max tow pkg.?

I was reading on another forum (I think) that the Mega Cab DRW still has the SRW spring pack. So even though the rear GAWR is the same (9350lb) as the Crew Cab DRW, the dually still takes it on the chin regarding payload.