• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tensioner Sqealing

My tensioner started sqealing like a pig. I plan to replace it but was wondering what the torque is on the bolt and if it had been over-torqued, could that make it squeal? Thanks

Nope, its just on its way out... They are not cheap to replace either! They're like $80 IIRC. Torque: 32ft. lbs. IIRC

you sure its the tensioner I was getting ready to chang mine and I changed the belt just to see before I bought the new tensioner and it was like magic no noise. just asking as I was sure mine was no good good luck.

With mine, if I quickly accelerated, it would start squealing. If I laid into the throttle and opender her up until 75 or so, it would squeal and not stop for a while even when idling. The car lot I bought the truck from duped me. They put on some belt dressing and probably hit the tensioner with lube and told me it was the belt. A few months later, probably when the lube dried out, it started to squeal again. I isolated it to be the tensioner. IF you wanna save yourself some dough, buy some belt dressing and hit the belt with it. If it stops squealing, see if it returns. If it does, hit the tensioner with some pb blaster or wd40. If it goes away, see if it comes back. You might even be able to measure belt deflection to see if the tensioner is weakened and is bad. Its really your call on what you wanna do. My money is on the tensioner if the wear on the belt is good and/or it is not due for a service interval.