• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hose and Push Lock fittings

ADawg

I already posted this question in an old "Frantz" thread so I thought I would give this a shot. I am trying to get my game plan together for installing my Frantz oil bypass kit and I was wondering if I could use a heat gun to soften the hose up so I can slide it onto the fittings. I know the big guy (Mopar1973Man) told me to boil them in water for a few minutes but I was curious to know if the heat gun would work? Thanks for any advice :thumbup2:

Do you have "girly-man" hands or a lot of baby fat on your hands???? Reason I ask, is that I never had to soften the hose to slide onto the "push lock" hose fittings!!! Busting your chops a bit!!!!! Hehehehe!!!Are there certain brands of hose that the push lock fitting work better with??? Or are they all basically the same?? How often should these hoses be changed; if ever??

Do you have "girly-man" hands or a lot of baby fat on your hands???? Reason I ask, is that I never had to soften the hose to slide onto the "push lock" hose fittings!!! Busting your chops a bit!!!!! Hehehehe!!!

Are there certain brands of hose that the push lock fitting work better with??? Or are they all basically the same?? How often should these hoses be changed; if ever??

NOW it is a challenge I will let you know how it goes with no aid in getting the hoses on! I mean you are right in away cause I had no problems getting my fuel line on those connections. By the way I cannot afford to mess up these god given hands of talent! :lol:

Hey, after almost 25 years of shoeing horses; my hands are really tough, with not a lot of "feel" in them. I can do "fine" stuff, as I do drive nails into living tissue............but the fine dexterity and feeling is what I don't have anymore.Not arguing, just saying!!!:smart:

I have used a heat gun, and even the wife's blow-drier, to get hoses on. Sure I can do it without but why.. it's like towing 15K lbs with a gasser, you will get there but it won't be fun.

Well put brotha :thumbup2: But if I was use anything to make life easier then dorkweed will think less of me :lmao:

Ok I got my Frantz on. No matter what I did the hoses were a pain to put on I could only get them over the last barb not any further. The biggest thing is I do not have any leaks so far :pray:.post-11448-138698187772_thumb.jpgI know my bracket is ghetto looking but I do not weld and I do not know anyone who does but it works so far. I am also going to go buy some hose clamps because as I was putting the hoses on I noticed that I had forgotten to put the ones supplied on. :doh:

post-11448-13869818774_thumb.jpg

post-11448-138698187752_thumb.jpg

post-11448-138698187762_thumb.jpg

• Staff

That doesn't look like any push-lok hose I have seen before. You can't use any hose with those fittings. I would let it get hot from engine oil and see if you can push them on more. Looks good, I'm personally not a fan of filters that close to the exhaust thou, it gets HOT over there!

That was my thought about letting it get hot then trying to push them on further but it does say "lock on" on the hose. I dont know if you can see it in one of the pics. I see your point about location but I dont know where I could mount it so I can change it easier. I would have to fabricate something to mount it to the fire wall I thought it was the easiest place to put her.

• 1 year later...

Alright so I have a question. I am looking at relocating my Frantz to the frame. I am trying to find comparable oil push lock hose but I can only find this: I need to obviously get more line to do this

post-11448-138698207692_thumb.jpg

[h=3]Push-Lock Hose Specifications[/h][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #DCDCDC]

Item#

[/TD]

Inner Diameter

[/TD]

Outer Diameter

[/TD]

Maximum Working Pressure (psi)

[/TD]

Minimum Burst Pressure (psi)

[/TD]

Minimum Bend Radius

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

3384-BK-04

[/TD]

[TD]

1/4"

[/TD]

[TD]

.50"

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

3"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

3384-BK-06

[/TD]

[TD]

3/8"

[/TD]

[TD]

.62"

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

3"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

3384-BK-08

[/TD]

[TD]

1/2"

[/TD]

[TD]

.75"

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

5"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

3384-BK-10

[/TD]

[TD]

5/8"

[/TD]

[TD]

.91"

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

6"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

3384-BK-12

[/TD]

[TD]

3/4"

[/TD]

[TD]

1.03"

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[TD]

7"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This hose is suitable for hydraulic fluids on mineral oil and synthetic oil basis (HL, HLP, HLPD, HVLP), oil-water-emulsions (HFAE, HFAS, HFB), water-glycol liquids (HFC), vegetable and mineral oil based lubricants, cooling water, and compressed air. Also generally suitable for biologically degradable hydraulic liquids (HETG, HEPG, HEES) however limited by fluid additives.

Not suitable for hydraulic fluids on phosphate ester basis (HFD).

I know it does not have the same specs as the Gates oil hose that comes with the Frantz system being 300 psi 300 temp, but will it work? Any help would be great :thumbup2:

"Push loc" is a specific brand and type of hose that Parker makes and is generally blue, what I see in your pics is you have mismatched hose and fittings, looks like you used a reusable aeroquip type hose with push loc fittings, I would change it asap before you have a hose pop off a fitting and loose and engine.I would use the aeroquip hose with reusable ends rather than puch loc hose and fittings in an oil system.

• Like 1

"Push loc" is a specific brand and type of hose that Parker makes and is generally blue, what I see in your pics is you have mismatched hose and fittings, looks like you used a reusable aeroquip type hose with push loc fittings, I would change it asap before you have a hose pop off a fitting and loose and engine. I would use the aeroquip hose with reusable ends rather than puch loc hose and fittings in an oil system.

The hose that came with the frantz is gates loc on 1/4 inch 300 psi 300 temp hose and I cannot find it on the web to purchase. i want to move my setup to the frame cause the make shift bracket is crappy and is cracking this is why I was asking about the hose from hydraulics direct before I purchase it. post-11448-138698207696_thumb.jpg this is what I am looking for or comparable hose but for a cheaper price than 4 dollars a foot that we filter it offers it for. The hose pictured above is what come with the frantz kits.

I agree with the comment that it's close to the exhaust. I through it on my 06 on the other side, and there is way enough room to put on a Amsol 2m filter which seems way bigger than the franz you have. And there is plenty of room to change out without a mess.post-11095-138698207757_thumb.jpg

I'm an old coot and have the belief of never messing with the frame in anyway unless there is no other way, so when I installed a fuel water / fuel filter set up, but could not come to the idea of drilling my frame, I bought a setup by XX Fuel, ( it appears their out of business now ). But the idea was great and maybe something for you. What I like is it's tucked away with plenty of room, easy to change when needed. Only changes were changing the back 2 bolts of the driver seat to longer ones, and cutting into the fuel hoses to connect the filters. Their filters bases were Baldwin and easy to buy, plus their filters were Donaldson and is a common thread. The metal thickness is 1/4" so it's a strong base.If you can fabricate it, it might be an idea to consider.post-11095-138698207772_thumb.gifThis picture is from their advertisement I got from them at the time.

I'm an old coot and have the belief of never messing with the frame in anyway unless there is no other way, so when I installed a fuel water / fuel filter set up, but could not come to the idea of drilling my frame, I bought a setup by XX Fuel, ( it appears their out of business now ). But the idea was great and maybe something for you. What I like is it's tucked away with plenty of room, easy to change when needed. Only changes were changing the back 2 bolts of the driver seat to longer ones, and cutting into the fuel hoses to connect the filters. Their filters bases were Baldwin and easy to buy, plus their filters were Donaldson and is a common thread. The metal thickness is 1/4" so it's a strong base. If you can fabricate it, it might be an idea to consider. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6077[/ATTACH] This picture is from their advertisement I got from them at the time.

I totally agree with you I dont like the thought of drilling into my frame but I have a setup just like that or bracket that holds my dieselsite trans filter head to the driver seat bolts. The only other place would be to drill along the fire wall or fender. I could probab;y fabricate a "sandwhich" type bracket that hugs the frame. But my biggest delima right now for me anyways is to find the hose that I can use with my current fittings. Like this bracket post-11448-138698207792_thumb.jpg