• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hydraulic fluid

Alright, so my log splitter uses 5 gallons worth of hydraulic fluid. I have to replace it all before I start splitting more wood again. I sure would hate to let it go to waste and/or pay to get rid of it. I could always throw it in the fire a little bit at a time, but I wonder if I could use it in my fuel?

I would do anything with it other that use it in the fuel. I am sure someone here could explain why scientificly. I think it would be on the same par as old engine oil, atf, or anything along those lines.

I would do anything with it other that use it in the fuel. I am sure someone here could explain why scientificly. I think it would be on the same par as old engine oil, atf, or anything along those lines.

stick it in your new tranny - ha !! kinda joking but there are some hi HP pullers using hydraulic oil in their trannys - supposedly

I would be willing to equate it more along the lines of used oil. Not ATF though. I just figured 5 gallons in a 34 gallon tank would not be detrimental.I suppose it would be more feasible doing if I had a p-pump instead.

• Owner

Like most all lubricant today they are full of additive packages for enhancement like soft metals (ash) so the high ash content will leave a nice build up of white harden deposits on the injectors and pistons. Just like the old tymers telling stories of using ATF back in the 70's for injector cleaner. Sure back then the oils were very basic now today very different and much more added to them. I highly suggest you don't add it to the fuel because of the negative effects.

I would find someone who uses a waste oil burner in their shop. I just want to ask you why you must change the hydraulic oil in your splitter? If it's bad for your splitter... what does it make it for your expensive truck? Many years ago... during the first oil embargo... I ran stinky sour salvaged gas (boat was about to be junked) through my Datzun PU. I strained it through a paint filter coming out of the 55 gallon storage drum, into a gas can so I could handle it. I went through a lot of filter elements in the small glass bowl filter ~ seperator I was running. The boss (Dad) was glad to be rid of the hazzardous waste, never asked about the filter use.