• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ever seen this before?

hex0rz

One of the career guys at the fire dept owns a Ram 1500. The other day, he had to emergency brake due to a person stepping out in front of him. This is the product of doing so!

Posted Image

I think his rotor was so rusted out that over time the fins in the rotor just were not strong enough to hold the braking force anymore. Create that oreo half-seperation effect. He had no brakes after this and had to limp it home on the e-brake. All he heard was a clunk when it fell apart.

Someone needs to wash there truck more also inspections of major systems need to be done more often... :rolleyes:

Who knows. The most ironic thing is that he is the dept. mechanic for the apparatus'. Probably why his got away on him, eh?

Just to be sure I understand this, you are showing a disc that seperated in the center. Right?

Yes.

Think of the weight savings! The rotational mass gains must have been killer... (i kid) :D

Haha, yea. Rotational mass gains... The gain in speed from the lack of brake power! :lmao:

These internally vented discs are famous for this... not every one does it but eventually they all will. When mine failed, it had cracks in many fins but didn't separate until the mechanic dropped them on the concete.

• 1 month later...

One of the career guys at the fire dept owns a Ram 1500. The other day, he had to emergency brake due to a person stepping out in front of him. This is the product of doing so!

Posted Image

I think his rotor was so rusted out that over time the fins in the rotor just were not strong enough to hold the braking force anymore. Create that oreo half-seperation effect. He had no brakes after this and had to limp it home on the e-brake. All he heard was a clunk when it fell apart.

I just got done doing a brake job on a friends chrysler cirrus. She said her brakes were "grinding". So i told her pick some pads up bring it over and if it needs anything else ill run and get it. Pulled the front passenger tire off and found a rotor just like the one pictured. I pulled the caliper off and showed her the pieces and she looked at it shrugged her shoulders and said "can you fix it?" I asked how long the brakes had been squeaking and she said about a month but i just turn the radio up so i cant hear it.:doh:

Sadly when i worked in parts we would have ppl bring in rotors to be turned, and 1 side of them would be ate all the way into the Fins and i was like yea you gotta buy new one, Ppl are so shocked to realize that that's not normal lol