Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

I just met a guy still on his original oem Carter L.P. I asked if he had a fuel pressure gauge..... all he said was, 'naw, why get a fuel pressure gauge?!', acting like I asked a stupid question, he says, I already got 185 thousand out of it and runs fine, why should I? With his insistent arguementive tone I didn't feel like telling him much till later on someday. :think:

• 1 month later...

This is the pump that is mounted to the frame by the tank. It is loud...I hear it buzz as soon as I turn the key on. Sorry didnt get the pic up last night...it got dark before I could take the picture. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4274[/ATTACH]

The little old Carter pump has gotten a bad rap for some time now but it isn't as bad as it comes across. If it is setup properly, it will live a very happy life with great service. My truck has it's pump set up almost exactly like the picture shows. Under the driver, on the outside of the frame. It's been there for over 100,000 miles right behind the driver's front tire. If you go through the motions to install bigger fuel lines and the appropriate fittings to make them work, you will have as much fuel as you need. I have removed the factory mounting, extended the factory power plug down to the new location and run 3/8 inch fuel line from the tank forward, simple as that. Everything is available online from various shops, mine was all purchased through Vulcan Performance. Even now with over 100,000 miles on it, I still get 15 psi at idle and under heavy load, can't get it below 11 psi. I will admit, there is a spare under the seat for that moment in time when it does fail, but the way it is mounted, I can change it out on the side of the road if need be in under 15 minutes. There is nothing wrong with the Raptors and AirDog pumps as well as all the others out there, but they do fail and I know lot's of people that have had them fail. Try finding parts or a replacement for one of these when your broke down in middle of nowhere USA. The old Carter is available just about anywhere and push come to shove, there is usually one sitting on a shelf in some feed store somewhere. They were used on just about everything and can be easily adapted if needed. Plus for the price of the after market pumps, you can carry a spare Carter under the seat and still be ahead $$$ Just for some stupid reason, Dodge figured they could suck fuel while mounted on the motor itself when we all know electric pumps push far more efficiently. The location is bad, not the pump. Jeff