• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Confusion sets in...

Alright, so in the midst of moving, I decided to try and kill 2 birds with one stone. Loaded up the dodge full with firewood. I had a cord of wood in the truck, but about 3/4 of it was just cedar. The other portion was maple. Really, I did'nt think it would cause a problem. I hauled alot more wood then that. I have stuck green paper birch in the truck in 8 foot lengths all the way to the top of my wood rack. Thats a crapload more weight in the truck then what I was just hauling.So, being that we were moving, I was driving the u-haul. I left the wife in charge of driving the dodge. She was not too confident in driving with this much weight in the truck. I told her she would be fine, just drive it like your driving in the snow. Keeping distance, slowing down sooner than later. Braking slow, accelerating slow, turn slow and wide. Those sort of things.Well, after a few mishaps on the way we finally get to the storage unit. I needed the dodge moved in a different spot than where she had parked when we got there. So she got in, and put it in (D)rive. She said once she put it into drive, the truck just died.So I went through mentally trying to think what is causing the problem. I got to the driver side and she said she could not hear the lift pump prime when she tried to re-start the engine. I thought great, the lift pump died AGAIN! :banghead:So I popped the hood and checked the fuse. Fuse was not blown. Okay, thats odd. So I got in the truck and turned the ignition on and the pump primed. Cranked it over and it started. Fuel pressure was normal at 19psi. Checked the gauges, everything was normal. So I started thinking vp44.Got the truck pulled off to the side, and unloaded the uhaul. About 3 hours later. We were ready to take off. Had to drop the uhaul off at the dropoff location and had the convoy following me to the place. I was leading the pack and the wife was behind. Occassionally checking my mirrors, I noticed that they were all turning off. WTF?So the wife tells me on the cell phone she had to pull off cause she felt the truck shaking. WTF? :ahhh:I was about a couple miles to the dropoff location, filled the uhaul, dropped it off at the location and my dad returned me back to the dodge. So I checked everything again that I thought it could be. Turning up nothing. I popped the hood, looked everything over. Noticed some slight wetness on the fuel line at the Tee for the FP gauge. Cranked the engine, nothing dripping from the line.Okay, what about some air bubbles getting into the system via the fittings? Well, then it should'nt run really, then. Hmm... :think:So, theres only one thing I could do. Drive it. I had to drive the truck over to a guys house and drop the wood off. Upon driving it, it seemed to be shifting funny. 2nd gear seemed to rev higher than normal. It would shift fine from 2nd to 3rd but then 3rd was short.Upon acceleration, besides the shift explained above, it had good accel. At about 35mph, the TC would lock-up. Upon lock-up it would shudder. So, I then came to the conclusion, that it was not the LP nore the vp44. Neither was it air in the line or water in the system.Its the transmission! :banghead: WTF!So, what I did, is for the rest of the way to the guys house, I would just goose it more than normal. The wife said she was driving as easy as possible. It seemed to improve it more, but the shudder still occured at lock-up. It also only locked-up or I noticed it only locking up at the usual 45mph or so.We get to the guys house, unload the wood. Head off from there and go get dinner. It seemed to shift fine after that and seemed to drive normally. Then after dinner, the drive home. 1 1/2 hours home and the truck seemed to drive fine.So, today, I tooke the truck to O'reilly's and ran the code reader on it just in case it did throw some codes. Turn out it DID throw some codes! It also did this twice!So, two events, of the same two codes:P0234P1698The code reader said the first code was from an overboost condition. How my wife managed to overboost the truck, escapes me... She said the egts never got over 700-800. Whether thats just because she failed to watch it when it was high or it just really never did get above that temp, I dunno.I tried to get the truck to create an overboost condition today and just could not do it. I peaked out at about 26psi. I also was hazing at that pressure and load. I don't remember ever hazing, period.Anyhoo, the only thing I notice the truck doing now is sometimes it revs higher in 2nd gear before it shifts. This is all so confusing to me. I don't understand why any of this happened, how it happened, etc.The transmission has a triple-disk TC and the transmission itself is rebuilt. The hard parts are not billet. When I had it rebuilt, the overdrive unit had to be replaced. Valve-body is a "tow-haul". I did not have anything else "updraged". I told the wife, for the duration of hauling the wood, to make sure that the O/D was turned off.I dunno what else I really can say. If there are anything else anyone needs to know to help diagnose the situation, let me know. The transmission was rebuilt back in December, only had a 6 month warranty on it though. The rebuilt transmission probably has less than 5000-7500k miles on it. I just hope I did not prematurely damage the transmission!

Just wondering. Are you not worried about the 1698 code? Could be anything from a bad PCM to a ground. Maybe this is where your problems are arising from? :2cents:

I'm worried about both codes. I just dunno what either of them are. I'm not around my computer where I can look it up in the FSM.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, so I looked up the codes:

P0234 (M) Turbo Boost Limit Exceeded Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

P1698 No CCD/J1850 Message From TCM No CCD/J1850 messages received from the electronic

transmission control module (EATX) or the Aisin

transmission controller.

P1698 No CCD Messages received from

PCM

Bus communication failure to PCM. A 9Companion DTC9

was set in both the ECM and PCM.

Is the wastegate not operating properly on my turbo? What do the others mean? :banghead:

- - - Updated - - -

Little did I KNOW! :ahhh:

I googled the DTC codes. Turns out, Mike has a whole section for these codes! I can't believe I missed the whole section!

Here is what the pages say about the codes:

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/165-p0234-turbo-boost-limit-exceeded

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/234-p1698-no-bus-message-received-from-pcm

I hope these are flukes! It would really suck to have to replace the turbo and PCM!

I have to work today and I NEED the truck. I hope I won't screw anything up driving it! Will it just go into limp mode if something is wrong?

Good you did find then just follow the diagnostics the best you can and see if there is a wiring issues... Might also check that alternator voltage (AC and DC).

I made it to and fro for work today. 1 hour drive each way. 2nd gear is steeper than usual. I also noticed my egt's are higher and it was no problem getting to 1000 degrees. Boost was averaging 25psi. I also noticed my exhaust was hazing alot. The rear of the bed by the exhaust is almost black. My mileage has also tanked as well. Just running off of the mileage I have on the trip and the fuel consumed I'm running 15.26mpg. Thats 3mpg less than avg. Something is really wrong here... Also, the TC shuddered again a few times as well under light load. If I get on the throttle before TC lock-up the shudder is not felt. I stopped by O'reilly's on the way home to see if it happened to throw codes again from todays trip. IT DID! :banghead: Here is what I got: P0234 Freeze frame data: Load:70.9% ECT F:190 MAP inHg: 75 RPM: 2748 Speed: 40mph IAT: 141 TPS% 83.9 I was also fooling around with the code reader to see if I could pull anything else off while I had it. I tried to pull codes from the ECM and the reader said, "Unable to retrieve engine DTC's." I pulled codes from the PCM. I dunno if this is a recent occurence or what but I got: P1693 P0720 I'll have to look them up for specifics, as the code reader summarized the code. WTF IS GOING ON?! :ahhh:

• Owner

You've got transmission problems it sound like.

Load:70.9% ECT F:190 MAP inHg: 75 RPM: 2748 Speed: 40mph IAT: 141 TPS% 83.9

83% of throttle to hold 40 MPH running 2,748 RPM's... Holy Cow! That a lot of drag going on... :stuned: Typically at 55 MPH for me is about 8-15% of throttle at 1,689 RPM's consuming roughly 2.4 GPH and load of 10-20% on semi-flat ground.

You've got transmission problems it sound like. 83% of throttle to hold 40 MPH running 2,748 RPM's... Holy Cow! That a lot of drag going on... :stuned: Typically at 55 MPH for me is about 8-15% of throttle at 1,689 RPM's consuming roughly 2.4 GPH and load of 10-20% on semi-flat ground.

:banghead: Have any ideas? It might have been when I got on the throttle to accelerate quickly to see how the lock-up would be felt. I stopped by O'reilly's and got on the code reader again. It only threw the P0720 code again. So while I was there I replaced the speed sensor. The transmission seems to shift really good now and I don't have the high rev problem nore any funkyness at lockup. I also looked at it closer and it was 1st gear that would rev high. It would not shift into 2nd until I reached about 15-20mph. Tomorrow, I'm gonna go back and clear the codes then get the last bit moved and see how she does on the highway. Then stop by another o'reilly's and see if it threw any codes from the trip. I'm not sure whats going on, but on the end of the speed sensor, the tip looked like it may have gotten hot? It was like a gray discoloration and the tip had metal fillings on it. Very fine, not chunky. Not sure if this is from "break-in" or from recent problems. I dunno what could be dragging so much?

Bands adjusted properly? Valve body issues? Pressure issues? :shrug: I know my stock 46RE in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 has never had any debris in the pan since I've owned it! (112K to 149K from 2002) Auto trans are not my cup of tea... :ahhh:

Bands have not been adjusted since rebuild. I don't see how anything could be wrong with the VB? I dunno much about auto's.. I would know where to begin. I dunno if it has any debris in the pan. I called the place that I had the transmission rebuilt at and he said the speed sensor can play havoc on the transmission. He said given that I have low miles on the tranny, he said he agrees on the idea the metal shavings were from the break-in. I got the truck loaded up with the last of my belongings and going to make my final trip down to Spokane. We will see how it handles on the way with the new speed sensor and I'll post back up and let you guys know if it throws any codes or is still acting up...

The freeze frame data looked like a hard take off, and that's when the code was set, i really hope he doesn't keep it at 2700 at only 40mph. PO720 speed sensor output fault correct?

- - - Updated - - -

Bands adjusted properly? Valve body issues? Pressure issues? :shrug:

I know my stock 46RE in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 has never had any debris in the pan since I've owned it! (112K to 149K from 2002)

Auto trans are not my cup of tea... :ahhh:

Mine either but im stuck with it, are you running stock clutch?

Also OP i would consult a transmission shop for torque converter shudder verification, and so they can check pressure and bands.

Alright guys, so I finished my trip! Had no problems with anything and everything was smooth sailing! :hyper:I took it to the O'reilly's here locally and it did not pull any codes. I took it to a family mechanic and he ran his snap-on diagnostic tablet and he said it did not show any codes thrown. Checked the ECM as well since I could not check with the oreilly code reader. No codes there either.So, in summary, everything checks out. If you get something like I do, check your speed sensor circuit! :thumbup2: