• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I got the 1k resistor in. Now no OD at all. And trans temp light is on.. WTF. Lol Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Really!! You sure like screwing up every suggestion I come up with!:lmao: Just out of curiosity, did you check the voltage?

Really!! You sure like screwing up every suggestion I come up with!:lmao: Just out of curiosity, did you check the voltage?

I've got a way of doing that LOL I have not, it's dark now, so it'll have to wait.

So thats where you've gone wrong Rick! :doh:

what, listening to Tom? heheh Tom spent a good hour on the horn with me discussing this stupid transmission and its nine billion gazzillion issues.. He's a great sound-board :thumb1:

It's hell gettin' old, ain't it?

- - - Updated - - -

So I got an oe OD button to install. The dash harness has the pigtail for it already, so it's plug and play. Button works the OD fine but the light on the button (od off) never goes out. Only when I turn the headlights on, will the light go out, but doesn't cycle the light as you press the button on/off.. weird.

So I got a chance to look into this, this evening, as well.. The harness plug has 5 wires, 6 wires; two are in the same pin.

Unplugged the switch, and it has 4 pins. testing the harness, side. I found that 4 of the 5 wires function as intended, as does the switch. The one wire from the PCM that trips the OD light on/off is at constant ground, but it shouldn't be. That's why the light stays on. Also, wire positions 4 & 5 were backwards in the plug, so I swapped those pins around, but it still keeps the light on the switch.

Tom,

For some reason, work blocks your site threads:

Your request http://www.dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=887 was denied because of its content categorization: "Games"

At any rate, I called and spoke with Tim. (btw: he's no longer at that location/number) We spoke for about 30-40 minutes, and you're right; he is a straight-shooter. He's been building Dodge transmissions for 35yrs, and seems extremely knowledgeable.

Basically, here's the jest of the conversation:

"You're chasing a tail you'll likely never catch, Rick. The issue lies in that the 47RE is a modified 47RH. The RH is full hydraulic with only the TCC being electrical. The RE has electronics handling the hydraulic governor's job, and the trans (as a whole) still thinks it's fully hydraulic, by function.

However, it isn't, obviously. From '96-'98, there are 5 different versions of the 47RE and PCM combos. Unless you have a complete donor automatic truck, you'll likely never get the correctly matching parts, and we're talking tenths of volts in variance. You can get an aftermarket controller, but you're still only at about 90% functional. Your 12mpg is also based primarily on the RE's issues. You could do a Ford 4L100 conversion (which is an awesome trans) but you're looking at a 8-10K$ conversion; it's hardly economical.

Your options seem to stand as this.. Box it up and sell the truck, buy an auto or manual truck, or convert it back to 5 speed.

Well, crap...

Tom,

For some reason, work blocks your site threads

Well, geez, that sucks. Now I need to figure that one out!

At any rate, I called and spoke with Tim. (btw: he's no longer at that location/number) We spoke for about 30-40 minutes, and you're right; he is a straight-shooter. He's been building Dodge transmissions for 35yrs, and seems extremely knowledgeable.

I am glad that you were able to get ahold of him. You should PM me his contact info (just in case!!). Anyhow, I guess now that you know exactly what is going on the work begins..... However, the 47RE SHOULD sell pretty quickly......
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rogan I've been following the thread and you've had a lot of good help, so here's what I have, A LOUD cyclic banging noise coming from the tranny. History, 47re rebuilt @ 120k with upgrade to a tow hall pkg. Truck has 190k. Trans fluid flushed every 30K. The noise just started, came off a 12hr pull, and noticed @ a stop the loud noise coming up through the floor board. Really bad @ idle but goes away @ higher RPMs???? Thx Dave

Rogan I've been following the thread and you've had a lot of good help, so here's what I have, A LOUD cyclic banging noise coming from the tranny. History, 47re rebuilt @ 120k with upgrade to a tow hall pkg. Truck has 190k. Trans fluid flushed every 30K. The noise just started, came off a 12hr pull, and noticed @ a stop the loud noise coming up through the floor board. Really bad @ idle but goes away @ higher RPMs???? Thx Dave

That sounds very much like the nuts on the convertor came loose or the flex plate is cracked. Pull the cover on the front of the bell housing and check the nuts first but check real close to see if there are any cracks.
  • Like 2

So jere I sit, side of road, trailer in tow.. trans wont stay in OD for more than 10m. With 4.10 gears, 48mph in 3rd is about 2500rpm. Trans temp 165, coolant 190, no codes.. it kicks out of od, turns the "od off" button's light on, and that's it. I have to pull over, turn truck off and sit about 10min .. then itay/may not turn back on. Tow weight is about 5000lb..Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2