• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I need to get a bigger vehicle for my mail route and am thinking about a 2000ish dakota. Anyone have any thoughts on them. I used my moms 98 1500 with 360 on the route for about a year and except for breaks and mpg it did great. That was in early 2002 so fuel wasnt high though. Here is a truck i might look at tomorrow. http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/ctd/3143065218.html I need something cheap and im not scared of high mile trucks, infact I preffere them.:whistle:

My wife is on her second one. First one was a 00 2 wd, 4.7L, auto. She drove it for 5 years. It had 160k when we traded it and had very little trouble out of it. We traded it for a new 06 and it has 135k on it now. It is 4wd, 4.7, auto. The only thing I have had to replace on it is the left front wheel bearing and ball joints. It has gone thru 3 cam positioning sensors in 6 months, the oe and 2 replcements from Auto zone. Not sure why. It is a little harsh on gas, 18 to 19 on the highway9wifey has a lead foot also) and about 13 to 14 around town. I think we will keep this on for a while since it is paid for. Both of them were and are good trucks.

• Like 1

I'd personally stay away from the 4.7 motor's... But i do love the looks of the Dakotas! and that's actually a darn good price for that one, most in that shape still demand 6-8K over priced of course. Good luck

Just curious as to why you would stay away from the 4.7? Do you know something I should know?

Just curious as to why you would stay away from the 4.7? Do you know something I should know?

As Ryan stated, Gutless under powered i know they'll pull a load but man do they REV High, more than my liking, and i've had 2 close friends that had them 1 Durango other a Dakota and they both had knocking issues under 100K and they serviced them on time religously, now i know that not all of them had issues but i've seen my fair share be it from friends and Customers when i worked in parts. I passed on buying a super clean 4x4 Loaded Durango because it had the 4.7, I'd rather have the 5.2 or 5.9 Much better engines

• Owner

Our mail carrier here in the valley drives a Suburu Impressa and covered over 280K miles and still going strong. She has about the same amount of boxes to stop at but like she says the Suburu she got is prefect because its a narrow enough car that she can lean over the passenger seat to stuff boxes.

As Ryan stated, Gutless under powered i know they'll pull a load but man do they REV High, more than my liking, and i've had 2 close friends that had them 1 Durango other a Dakota and they both had knocking issues under 100K and they serviced them on time religously, now i know that not all of them had issues but i've seen my fair share be it from friends and Customers when i worked in parts. I passed on buying a super clean 4x4 Loaded Durango because it had the 4.7, I'd rather have the 5.2 or 5.9 Much better engines

I would agree on the rpm. You have to shove your foot in it, but it will take off oand go if you keep the rpm up. The 02 had a Jett chip in it. Boerlla headers, performance throtle body, flow master exhaust and it would fly. Had to have 100 more hp than the 06. Just have not had any major trouble out of either one.

• Owner

She drives drom the drivers side? I set in the passenger seat in my car and just have a leg laid over the gear shift. Subaru used to make right hand drive stationwagons for mail carriers but I knew several woman with them and they all said transmissions went out alot.

Yes sir... She drive normal and lean plumb over the passenger seat to stuff boxes. Been doing it nearly 20 years now! The inside edge of the seat is rather broke down she said. I wonder why...:lol: