• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tire blew up!

ISX

Not that I'm really surprised.. I think I say everything in the vid that needs to be said. But yeah, that penny rule where if it doesnt cover lincolns head, change it, is probably a good rule of thumb. It isn't the funnest thing having the front passenger side tire blow going that fast and then try and keep it going straight. Something else mighta been going on because it vibrated for a couple miles verrrry slightly before it blew, like a belt let go in the tire. I got a LOT of miles out of them, but obviously tread life isn't the only factor. Age seems to be another. Lesson learned. BUT, in hindsight, I would carry a better jack if you don't have an hour to work that OEM piece of crap, but even better is one that will fit under a 2wd trick with no tire... I drove it into a ditch so I could get some room under it and dig a hole. Which takes us to the next thing, bring a rug or something lol. Bring a real socket/ratchet. I didn't have any wires showing the tires were just barely having any tread left. So if you pull, this should be a lesson to have good tires on it.. It wouldn't be as fun with a TT. Of course there is the cosmetic damage but my paint is already screwed from I guess some lead based paint changover or somethign in 1997 :shrug: all I know is the pain turns green and chips the clear coat off.

http://youtu.be/00S0n0P9PUc

The spare is brand spankin new! Give it another 100k before I change the rest :lmao: Actually that tire is identical to another one on the truck... When I bought it the PO had a bald pair and a new pair and I put new ones on the bald set (the pair with this blower upper) and then a while back the other pair finally wore out. The latest ones were hankooks, which wore as fast as the michelins so now ALLL are equally wore so I can finally put a matched set on the damn thing. I want some pirelli scorpions but $$$$$. I can't afford anything anymore anyways for a long while. And I swear that OEM jack is the biggest PITA. Maybe not a pain but geeeeez its the slowest thing in the world. It was 105F with no clouds at noon when I did this :doh: I got the spare tire out, through it by the blown up tire, got back in the truck and sat there a while lol. It actually was nice just not caring about time, like I had no worries in the world. It took like 2 hours lol. I sure wasn't in any hurry.

On our way home from camp in June, we had an 18 wheeler blow the tire on the trailer. Right Outside on the front trailer axle... looked like he'd run over the tazmanian devil. A cloud under the truck... flying chunks of rubber tire & tube... kept right on driving. Sheila was in front of me with her new car & darted into the other lane... I couldn't "dart" with the rig but tried to avoid the worst of it... I must live right or something (maybe I shouldn't push my luck)... I had an iron bar which came off a 18 wheeler in front of me (gosh) it's been 4 years. Coming back from camp with the horse trailer on... No chance to dodge it & hit it with the right side tires on truck & trailer... The 18 wheeler behind me hit it too. We both pulled over to check for damage... I had several people notice the horse trailer & stop to offer to help (get water) but we had water on (opened doors for ventilation & watered the horse while we were stopped). We had just stopped... a car hit the steel & took out the headlight, fender & front tire. The trucker who was stopped & myself wrote out statements on notepaper for the guy's insurance. Last I saw he was waiting for a tow... we got the heck outta Dodge as we were not in a good spot...

I can't wait to have as much experience as you Russ lol. There is no such thing as getting older, just wiser. :thumbup2: It's amazing how much they can tear up when they are flapping. I can't believe my aluminum rim looks perfect after driving on it for well not too long I guess I was on the brakes and off to the exit and just drove on into the grass cause I hate being anywhere near the interstate. I would like to get a better understanding of the whole belt deal. Like how they come apart and stuff. I never really have fully understood it other than seeing (especially now lol) all the layers in a tire. But how do they just come apart?

I've never seen a original tire come apart. The front end guy insisted I had broken belt on the Cirrus. Some no name winter tires dear daughter bought just before her Pontiac Sunbird croaked. I inhereted them because they fit my car. I'd been trying to get the vibration fixed for 2 years or more... probably drove 30,000 miles on it that way. Replacing the tire in question did indeed fix it. Then again, I don't drive Firestones on a Expedition. And I'm alive to tell about it. Pictures of the tire?? What did it look like?

Good to hear that your ok, ur lucky u didnt wipe out at 80MPH! i had a RR blow at 80 mph about 4 weeks ago scared the **** outta me my truck came off the ground! heres a pic o f the carnage, it sucks about the damage but at least your ok that's the main thing. also get on CL u can find good deals on wheels/tires almost new for great $$

Not trying to hi-jack

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You wouldn't ride on a tire like that on your motorcycle.........................would you???????:shrug: Yet you're gonna drive on a POS tire like that in your truck and endanger me, Mike, Russ, etc....................anyone that's driving near or around you!!!!??????:smart::smart:Not arguing, just saying!!!!!! Glad no one was FUBARed by the incident!!!!:doh::smart:

You wouldn't ride on a tire like that on your motorcycle.........................would you???????:shrug: Yet you're gonna drive on a POS tire like that in your truck and endanger me, Mike, Russ, etc....................anyone that's driving near or around you!!!!??????:smart::smart: Not arguing, just saying!!!!!! Glad no one was FUBARed by the incident!!!!:doh::smart:

Uhhmm the tire still had tread on it, barely, and no wires were showing or anything so why would it just explode!? I see no reason why it did. And yes actually I do wait for the tires on my dirt bike to go completely bald. I go through them too fast to just replace them when I tear a knob off. I figured someone would say this but I'll take a pic of the tire and you'll see that it blew up like there was dynamite all the way around it. The way I see it the tread has nothing to do with tire strength and since I still had tread left it tells me I was never wearing into the actual tire rigidity so the reason it blew up had to just be due to age. But still...theres people with a lott older tires on things and they dont completely explode.

I'm still running the ORIGINAL 2001 Michilins... low miles, still under 60,000. The legal tread remaining is worn evenly. I would not replace tires just because they are "old". I would take the remains of that tire & the pieces I could recover to the manufacter's district rep. Original tire treads should not come apart... it's not like recaps... Even my tires with (aledgely) broken belts didn't come apart. A little more on the history of the broken belt set (only 1 of 4 tires failed), was dear daughter went back to school, left the dead car here for a year before we got her permission to junk it & salvaged the tires. So those tires likely were flat spotted. But they drove prefect for a couple of years before the vibration started. It took be 4 years to run the tires out on the Cirrus.I expect tire bodies to last the length of the original tread. This one didn't for you & I'd be asking why.

• Owner

In all the vehicle I've owned I've never ever had a violent blow of a tire.I've had tread face separate on my old Dodge Motorhome but it could barely run 55-60 MPH at 4,000 RPM's. No damage done. age factor here got me. One both my 2002 and my previous 1972 Dodge trucks I punctured tires with rocks, tree limbs, stobs, etc. Some so big the tire was ruined on the spot.As for tire after 5-7 year regardless of remaining tread the tire should be replaced. The tire manufacture date is on the stamped part of the tire in week/year. As for properly inflating tire I'm normally a stickler for that I will readjust tire pressure when I hitch up trailers or haul loads.200,000+ miles no blow out and plan to stat that way for many more miles! :thumb1:

• Owner

In all the vehicle I've owned I've never ever had a violent blow of a tire.I've had tread face separate on my old Dodge Motorhome but it could barely run 55-60 MPH at 4,000 RPM's. No damage done. age factor here got me. One both my 2002 and my previous 1972 Dodge trucks I punctured tires with rocks, tree limbs, stobs, etc. Some so big the tire was ruined on the spot.As for tire after 5-7 year regardless of remaining tread the tire should be replaced. The tire manufacture date is on the stamped part of the tire in week/year. As for properly inflating tire I'm normally a stickler for that I will readjust tire pressure when I hitch up trailers or haul loads.I kind of wonder if you two guys had tires rated for lower roads speed? 200,000+ miles no blow out and plan to stat that way for many more miles! :thumb1:

In all the vehicle I've owned I've never ever had a violent blow of a tire. I've had tread face separate on my old Dodge Motorhome but it could barely run 55-60 MPH at 4,000 RPM's. No damage done. age factor here got me. One both my 2002 and my previous 1972 Dodge trucks I punctured tires with rocks, tree limbs, stobs, etc. Some so big the tire was ruined on the spot. As for tire after 5-7 year regardless of remaining tread the tire should be replaced. The tire manufacture date is on the stamped part of the tire in week/year. As for properly inflating tire I'm normally a stickler for that I will readjust tire pressure when I hitch up trailers or haul loads. I kind of wonder if you two guys had tires rated for lower roads speed? 200,000+ miles no blow out and plan to stat that way for many more miles! :thumb1:

This tire was like 4 years old, if that. I don't know what $220 tire would have a speed rating under 100mph, all the ratings I am finding on google for this tire are 112, and I can't even go that fast. It had 70psi in it when I checked them all before I took off.

ISX............sorry; I re-read my earlier post. I had no intention of sounding that harsh...............I had intended on it being a "tongue in cheek" post...................aka...............sarcasm!!!!!!!!! None of that came thru though.:duh: Sorry.:thumbup2:What brand of tires were they, and where did you buy them at????:shrug:

• Like 1

ISX............sorry; I re-read my earlier post. I had no intention of sounding that harsh...............I had intended on it being a "tongue in cheek" post...................aka...............sarcasm!!!!!!!!! None of that came thru though.:duh: Sorry.:thumbup2: What brand of tires were they, and where did you buy them at????:shrug:

lol I was expecting someone to say it so you were just that someone. I was going to replace them but haven't had the time lately and no I just don't have the money so it will sit. I just didn't expect the thing to explode by driving it some more :stuned: Don't worry dorkweed I knew I shoulda replaced them and one piece did come off the tire and the car behind me had to slam on their brakes to miss it but I guess thankfully I'm good at keeping people off my rear. They were michelin LTX A/T's. ACUTTTTTTTALLLLLLLLLLY maybe that's why they stopped making them! They lasted a long time but maybe they had some issues like this because they don't sell them anymore and they use LTX A/T2's now. :shrug: I just realized I have that damn jeep so I might just go for an all highway tire if I can afford it. I only got all terrain for the snow and yeah I don't need it anymore for that.