• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Entertainment Linux Style

• Owner

Well I'm pushing even harder now. I managed to fire up Guild Wars which is a Windows game on Ubuntu Linux using WINE. So far so good... Here is some information on what I'm playing with... WINE http://www.winehq.org/ Ubuntu Linux http://www.ubuntu.com/ And the MMORPG game I'm firing up. http://www.guildwars.com/ I'm going to benchtest this and see if Linux is more stable than Windows Vista which seem to have hang issues and network dropping issues. :ahhh:

I have been paying a lot of attention lately on what I hate about windows and it's not really so much the operating system as much as it is the web browser, I THINK... I used fedora a couple days ago and I like that a lot better than ubuntu though I still hate the way it shows you files (/root whatever, rather than C:/...) but the internet was snappier and just smoother it seemed. I have yet to get a browser that works perfectly with youtube. Everything sometimes jitters or something doesn't load right or who knows what. Fedora seemed better at it.

• Owner

File system is a bit different but root, home, user, etc are basically the same as Windows just named differently.But I tend to agree browser wise Opera, Chromium, FireFox all work much better on Linux much smoother. Very very rare have I've seen system or app hang in Linux when it does it so wonderful to pop open Terminal box and call out the command "sudo killall (app name)" and the problem is gone. :woot:When it Windows it still possible to hang the entire system so bad than keyboard and mouse hardware are dead and non-responsive. :sick:

Ummmmm I'm not sureeee but I think fedora somehow wiped my entire external hard drive.. Windows says it's empty. That could be a big problem because every pic I have ever taken, every video, every excel...... You guys might be SOL on help now..

Well fedora says its empty too. That uhhhhh, yeah. That sucks. I guess I only lost 200GB of pictures/videos/spreadsheets :banghead: Not sure what I did, the installation of fedora had to do all that mounting crap, guess it molested that drive.

I just don't know when it did it. Whenever it did, it had to have just been a quick format thing. Who knows. My camera still works lol. I actually have a lot of pics on a background server on the site, but thats only maybe 10% of them, and no videos, I had tonnnnns of videos. Tons of stuff I never got around to posting. For every 1 video I have posted here I probably had 3 different versions of it that I could use in other videos depending on the view I wanted. We shall rebuild! Bigger and BETTER! lol

I just don't know when it did it. Whenever it did, it had to have just been a quick format thing. Who knows. My camera still works lol. I actually have a lot of pics on a background server on the site, but thats only maybe 10% of them, and no videos, I had tonnnnns of videos. Tons of stuff I never got around to posting. For every 1 video I have posted here I probably had 3 different versions of it that I could use in other videos depending on the view I wanted.

We shall rebuild! Bigger and BETTER! lol

Posted Image

• Owner

Well if your on Ubuntu I would know how you did it. At least with Ubuntu there is a option to unmount when you reading MS drives. Well I've come really close to using the next command up which is format. Since I flipped over to LXDE Desktop now that problem is gone. :wink:Sure sucks to lose 200 GB of information... I've got more like 2.5 TB or (2,500 GB) of information on one computer. I need to sneak over to Windows for a bit and back up again, It's Been awhile. :rolleyes:

I read and reread a million times what it said to make sure it wasn't going to format anything. It didn't even list partitions it just listed the whole drive. I never even made it do anything with that external hard drive so I don't know why it formatted it. It wasn't just 200gb of crap it was 200gb of everything I have ever had. I have been dumping everything to it from my computer because I have been playing hard drive musical chairs so the only thing on the computer drive is 20 pictures of BS, 5 BS spreadsheets, 1 BS video, and yeah, nothing. The millions of videos and pics and spreadsheets and programs and other crap is just gone. I really don't care, but I sure can't help anyone with pics anymore. I can link them to pics on here but thats it. Wouldn't care if I knew what I did to delete them.

• Owner

I would absolutely cry my eyes out... :cry:But I got smart years ago and run twins. Main drive is 1.0 TB and the back up drive is a 1.5 TB. So when I was running windows I would have Norton Ghost run in the late hour of the night and backup all the 2.0 TB to the 2.5 TB so there was a fresh backup every morning. That system is still in place except windows doesn't run in the night so the backup are rather stale. :duh: So I know I got to force Ghost to kick a backup next time I fire up windows. But being I do most everything in Linux I tend to forget.So like the Linux drive I'm working on is a 250 GB drive with problems already and eventually I got to get off my rear end and move Linux over to the 1.0 TB in its own partition so it remains part of the system. But I know I'm on barrowed time and the 250 GB will eventually fail me. Linux is already warning me with SMART diagnostics. That's something I love about Linux it tells you your drive health and if and when it might fail. :woot: