• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Misfire...stall

Tried to look over some old discussions but cant find what I'm looking for. 99 24 valve with auto. Stock with about 150K on it. Sat for a few yrs till I started running it. Been doing ok, then started to "hick-up" or lope on me. Sitting idle or under power on road. Cant seem to understand. It'll just puff two three times in row. Expected it was a dirty injector. When I firsted started to run it 2 yrs ago I installed a draw straw plumbed into factory lines. Everything was good. I expected this was a dirty injector, started to treat with inj. cleaner. The "burps" kept getting worse to suddenly not starting after sort ride (warm). Ofcourse I expect no the lift pump, so I just ordered a DDRP (back-ordered) Then I saw one thread on here about "key on LP run 1 sec., bump starter...lift pump 25 sec run" that should mean the ok lift pump.... So is it the VP? I have no codes. Ofcourse I am sinning and not running any gauges. They are on way too. Should I install DDRP or not? Whats the order I should progress. Could this simply be a issue of a loose injector line or air getting into line or someting? Ideas?

To check the LP I would crack the line going to the filter, if you get fuel coming out, close it and crack the one going to the fuel pump. If you have fuel there, crack the line at the farthest injector. If you have fuel there chances are there's enough pressure to start the engine, and your problem is elsewhere.How new are the batterys? It has become apparent to me and others, that without two matched batterys, in good working order. These beasties will do all manner of stupid things, totally unrelated to having 12 volts. I mine for example, I have had a no crank issue in park, but would work just fine in neutral. It would come and go. The truck would start just fine in the morning but after setting in the sun all day, it would not crank. I had just replaced the neutral safety switch about a month before.Long story short batterys were showing full charge on a volt meter. Turns out the drivers side battery had a leaking negative terminal that ate the pinch bolt on the clamp in two. Still showed good voltage but was shot. I found it on accident because I was replacing the batterys (mismatched set, that was on my to do list), because I found a deal at the Dodge dealer on a set mfg in 7 of 2012. If I had not replaced them Sat. I would likely still be chasing, the no crank issue. Truck did not have any codes in memory, either.

Thanks for the input. I had some issues with batteries all along as I think back. Current set are matched replace new in spring. I'm Having bad luck with these Botsch batteries, but the deal was right and if I get free replacement every spring oh well. I'll look over the batteries again... I'm always diligent with my gas autos on this case. I had tranny issues on this truck (spare tranny on shelf as proof), and I think this years new batteries fixed that. I'll check those and the procedure as you said. Thanks....talking a new camper in VA, so I better get this fixed or I'll need to borrow a duramax!

• Staff

When it sat for three years was it out in the weather? Might drain off some fuel and look for water and algea. Try getting a sample off the bottom and Change your fuel filter(s)That's a good name for my wife..... ' Miss firestall'...... Don't tell her :nono:.... she'd make darn sure my truck would never run again. :lol:

Understand this truck had been running pretty well for about 1-1/2 years when this started to act up. UPDATE: I fired up the truck (not daily driven, maybe weekly) started reved, idled fine. Went in house for awhile, listen, no "burps" that I heard, doing some stuff inside for 20-30 minutes, didnt hear running. Go check it had shut off (stalled out). I cycled key (not to start) no sounds, bumped starter, LP came on to pressurize. Tried to start, fire, stall, again fire stall... runs maybe 2-4 seconds.... (temp was up to operating (190 degrees).... wouldnt start and run. As I kept trying the length of running or firing got worse.So what is it???? VP gone now? Or something stupid? No codes at least no "engine lite". I'll run a code tester when I have time.

• Owner

Might double check your fuel pressure and error codes and see whats happening...

Understand this truck had been running pretty well for about 1-1/2 years when this started to act up. UPDATE: I fired up the truck (not daily driven, maybe weekly) started reved, idled fine. Went in house for awhile, listen, no "burps" that I heard, doing some stuff inside for 20-30 minutes, didnt hear running. Go check it had shut off (stalled out). I cycled key (not to start) no sounds, bumped starter, LP came on to pressurize. Tried to start, fire, stall, again fire stall... runs maybe 2-4 seconds.... (temp was up to operating (190 degrees).... wouldnt start and run. As I kept trying the length of running or firing got worse. So what is it???? VP gone now? Or something stupid? No codes at least no "engine lite". I'll run a code tester when I have time.

Need to check both error codes and fuel pressure. Very few codes actually trip the :cel: light...