• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stupid Question but what is a stock turbo on my 2002 auto

I guess I never really thought about it, I believe I read it was an hy35 and then in 2003 when the switch up to the CR stock was the hx35...I know I've heard alot of good things about em and I was wonderin what would be a good/my best option for upgrading my turbo...Can the hx be a direct swap?

Mike is correct but remember the early 24v auto's had hx35 too, maybe up to 2000. The 03 and early 04 trucks had an he341 that is about the same as your hy35 and the 04.5 till 07.5 had he351ce which is a popular upgrade for our 2nd gen trucks. Or the he351ve turbos from the 6.7 trucks with the built in exhaust brakes are nice but pricey with the controller.

So out of the HE351Ce or the hx35, whats going to be the best for me as far as housing size, possible pressure, and fitting if/when I swap...Or can my HY35(or a be sufficient enough to take the rig up to I guess the mid 400's hp and basically a medium duty towing with some street performance type truck? Or maybe even go aftermarket?

If you wanna do a cheap swap then go with just an hx, its a direct bolt on but an he351cw would be nice and have gotten folks close to 500hp. I have looked into swapping to a 351 myself and there are only a few changes you have to make to fit it up. I believe you will need a flang to fit it to the manifold, a down pipe, clock the housing and a pipe to go to the intercooler.