• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone using a Gear Vendors overdrive unit?

Just did a 250 mile drive after making some mods on my truck. Now with the Raptor and drawstraw on the truck I can go as fast as i want to without worrying about fuel pressure. Now the problem is that once I go much over peak torque the fuel mileage goes down... way down. First 100 miles stayed at 60-65 mph and was getting a good 27+ mpg. Anything over that speed and its down to 25 mpg, and once I hit the hills best I could do was 23 mpg. Friend of mine has a Gear Vendors OD unit on his Ford Powerstroke and loves it. Course he got it for a good price and not list of $3000+ as well. Was thinking about trying to find one for the Dodge and sure would like to be able to run 75 mph at 1600 rpm's.Thx,Joe

• Owner

I got to admit the Gear Vendors Unit would be the simplest method of gaining some gear. Transmission swapping is the most time consuming method being that you got to adapt everything to work properly. But when you get down to it by the time you get done modifing the truck to take a Allison trans you could of put a gear vendor on...:confused:

I got to admit the Gear Vendors Unit would be the simplest method of gaining some gear. Transmission swapping is the most time consuming method being that you got to adapt everything to work properly. But when you get down to it by the time you get done modifing the truck to take a Allison trans you could of put a gear vendor on...:confused:

Yeah! But when you got finished installing the Allison 6-speed, Look what you would have. Anyome know where you can find one??

In your '02, I'm guessing you have the 355 rear end. Try and swap in a new ring gear for taller gearing.......or a whole new/used rear end. Or get some taller and narrower tires. You've got a lot more choices with your 16 inch rims in that area than I do with my 17's.

One more thing, you have a "CUMMINS" in your truck. Not a "cummings"!!

having the right gears for towing (4.10) is great, but it excludes good gears and MPG while not towing. the other stock choice (3.55) is a compromise for towing and cruising empty, because the gears require towing at 65-70 which in many places is illegal, and at 2000RPM you are at 70mph where many people would rather be at 75-80 while cruising.

i use tires to change the ratio...when empty i run the sig tires. when pulling i put the stockers back. the turnpike to OKC is 75mph and your a suspicious vehicle if your not going that fast. if i remember the 33" changed the 3.55 to maybe a 3.23.?.?. can cruise 2k at 75 now. when you compensate for the mileage being off. it is almost the same on fuel, but city suffers a mpg. 12.5" is a lot of rubber to start turning

i get between 21-25 depends on how i drive if i keep my boost below 2pounds and my pyro below 600 hundred thats when i get the best fuel mileage :thumbsup: well thats something that mopar1973man told me a while back and i been using it and it works.