• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Really? poor gas milage?

rancherman

If you are referancing my comments... I wasn't refering to the parking brake, but the service brakes. I had an experience with my truck... It about drove me crazy. I wrote about it at the time, where the front calipers rusted/siezed. The truck drove normally, stopped normally (though I don't customarily use the brakes heavily), dealer stated no codes. Except the mpg was off. {Sorry, I wince when some puts up "gas mileage" in a diesel truck. I bet it gets few miles on gasoline.}Any rate a real mechanic subsequently went to check my ball joints, lifted the front & could barely turn the front wheels. I WAS THERE & saw it. The rust had expanded the edge of the disc so it dragged on the caliper frame. Sorry if I was unclear. My old mechanic texts list external friction as a possible source of poor mileage or loss of power, but I'd never seen it.

I suppose I missed this episode..

That post was a 'outburst' (like turettes' syndrome) I get "online"!! no, no reference to your post, but more of a common problem in many many diesel forums... ford and chev included. You sure caught the 'gas mileage' thing quickly too! My whole post was a sarcastic blurb about a common thing called: "not knowing that it takes fuel to have fun" or, "if you gonna play, you gotta pay!" I think it's totally cool to take a 7000 pound vehicle and blast down the quarter mile... or yank a 20000# trailer up a mountain pass at 70 mph... :pant: I also realize it's gonna take fuel to do it too! .....perhaps a little 'self control' would help a lot of the guys suffering from 'poor fuel efficiency'..... I am suffering right now from TMI, TLT! :ahhh: The past month or so I've been scouring all the info I'll need to progress on this winter's project. For me, a simple cowboy... It's been a whirlwind!! So, no, my original 'spew' wasn't aimed towards anyone, just an observation of "lack of general physics laws" which are easy to spot 'online'!
  • Like 1

Well, yes, it does take fuel to do work! I can baby the truck running empty... but I know when I hookup the horse trailer or toy hauler & head out, it's gonna burn some serious fuel. But that's the only reason for owning a heavy hauler instead of a toy truck.

Rancher, thanks for clarifying. I was quite confused, and my initial read of it was that it was lashing out to someone here, to which I was about to go all 'moderator' on it, "online".. :)I am at the point where I just say "eff it" on my 3500's fuel economy. It doesn't seem to matter if it's empty, loaded, city, or highway, or any variation of the above... 12.5-12.8mpg is where it lives. My '96 12V was a different animal, however.. 17+ CTY, 25-28 HWY. And it made a ton of power (IMO).I just really hate this 3500, unfortunately. I mean, I love having one, but this one, in particular, just drives me nuts as the P.O. was a clueless ball-bag.

Rancher, thanks for clarifying. I was quite confused, and my initial read of it was that it was lashing out to someone here, to which I was about to go all 'moderator' on it, "online".. :) I am at the point where I just say "eff it" on my 3500's fuel economy. It doesn't seem to matter if it's empty, loaded, city, or highway, or any variation of the above... 12.5-12.8mpg is where it lives. My '96 12V was a different animal, however.. 17+ CTY, 25-28 HWY. And it made a ton of power (IMO). I just really hate this 3500, unfortunately. I mean, I love having one, but this one, in particular, just drives me nuts as the P.O. was a clueless ball-bag.

A 12mpg 12 valve! Bring it to me. As long as it's not the transmission that's the problem, I can fix it lol.

A 12mpg 12 valve! Bring it to me. As long as it's not the transmission that's the problem, I can fix it lol.

I really think that's where 99% of the problem is, though, ISX.. I'd bet big money that the trans is eating up the mileage.. If I get to a funding point where I can 5 speed this truck, and the mileage doesn't change drastically, I'd definitely head your way for a long weekend trip..

I really think that's where 99% of the problem is, though, ISX.. I'd bet big money that the trans is eating up the mileage.. If I get to a funding point where I can 5 speed this truck, and the mileage doesn't change drastically, I'd definitely head your way for a long weekend trip..

I am not a converter lol. Save your money, rebuild the auto, if it's still crap I'll come fix it. Given that the engine isn't just worn out from the constant donuts you do in walmart parking lot.

I am not a converter lol. Save your money, rebuild the auto, if it's still crap I'll come fix it. Given that the engine isn't just worn out from the constant donuts you do in walmart parking lot.

Truck was originally a manual trans truck (hole in the floor, lack of PRND21 in cluster, 215HP pump, lack of correct PCM auto trans wiring, etc. etc.) Ive done the swaps before from original autos to manuals, and that's fairly easy. This one would be a cake walk to put back. And I've not done donuts in walmart parking lot.. at least not in this truck :ashamed: Truck's got 135K on the motor.. 1500mi on the trans..

Rogan, I know where you can get a complete 98 24v 5 speed 1 owner for probably $2500. He wrecked the front end but drove it off the road, it's got 220k and its a clean Laramie truck.

That's interesting... Is it a total? Do you know if it's 2500/3500/DRW, etc? I've really had nothing but issues with this truck since I got it, and I'm quite fed up with it.. I love the 3500 and DRW, and especially the 12V.. but the biggest issue I have is the trans.. I've just been fighting it since June..

It's a single wheel truck, I bought the cup holder and ECM out of it. Not sure if its totaled or not but the motor is kinda setting sideways.

oh wow. I wonder if the trans and stuff (shafts, etc.) are okay.. I'd obviously need all that stuff. Is it a QCLB?

Rancher, thanks for clarifying. I was quite confused, and my initial read of it was that it was lashing out to someone here, to which I was about to go all 'moderator' on it, "online".. :) I am at the point where I just say "eff it" on my 3500's fuel economy. It doesn't seem to matter if it's empty, loaded, city, or highway, or any variation of the above... 12.5-12.8mpg is where it lives. My '96 12V was a different animal, however.. 17+ CTY, 25-28 HWY. And it made a ton of power (IMO). I just really hate this 3500, unfortunately. I mean, I love having one, but this one, in particular, just drives me nuts as the P.O. was a clueless ball-bag.

:lmao: Your last 3 words in that post ^^^ 'summed up' exactly what I stumbled through trying to say in my OP! Nice recap! :thumbup2: Opening day here, and the hunters are driving around by the hundreds.... and It's foggy as hell. I wonder If I need to put away my Antler Hat for a couple weeks?

• 2 weeks later...