• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Had my 99 full bore fuel pressure said 0????

I. Started seeing problems with fuel pressure i have raptor 150 i cleaned the filter screen there was alot gunked up put back together same thing when im at idle i have 14-15 when warmed up at cold 12-13 regular driving i see 9-11 psi romping on it its gone to 0psi i wouldve thought the truck wouldve cut out but it kept pulling hard the vp was recently replaced along with lift pump and fuel filter i noticed at idle the lights will dim and fuel pressure will drop 3-4 psi and jump back up im some what new with this someone help i dont wanna replace the vp:(((

lights dimming could be the grid heaters cycling. check the battery connections as well, ensure no corrosion. also not sure if its the same as the airdog but there is a steel ball held with a spring that can get stuck open or something like that..?i also see a big drop in pressure when i get on the skinny, was at 19 idle and drop to ~11ish and this weekend it was idling at 19 but dipping down to 8 for some reason so i cleaned terminals and adjusted it to idle around 21, now it dips to 13 at most.

First, I would adjust the FP to be in between 18-20 psi at idle. Second, are you using the factory fuel lines fromthe tank to the VP? Do you have an isolator on your FP gauge? Are you running your fuel thru the old lift pump? (Not sure from the way you wrote the article. You mention Raptor150 and then lift pump.

You've got some restrictions in the fuel system. Do yo have 1/2" from VP44 to the fuel tank? Is there any factory plumbing and fittings left? Is there a possiblity of air leak on a suction fitting?

Im not 100% sure if all the plumbing is aftermarket but the fuel lines are half inch its the raptor 150 the fuel lines need to be replaced they are getting dry rotted but were else could i be possibly getting a leak from?

Or it could be like my air dog 150. The motor on the pump was intermitent. I don't understand the need of 1/2 inch lines on these small engines unless you are flat out racing. In days past my experience with 315 cummins engines that pulled 78,000 lbs and only got 6mpg only had 1/2 inch fuel lines and it would be 15 ft of suction befor the pump.

• Owner

I don't understand the need of 1/2 inch lines on these small engines unless you are flat out racing.

Volume and pressure stability. With smaller ID plumbing you get wilder pressure swings up and down. Mainly because Bosch VP44 injection pump requires 70% of all fuel to be return to the tank for cooling and lubing reasons. So this means even with a stock fuel system you would need a supply volume of roughly 70-90 GPH. So the stock plumbing is only rated for 75 GPH but that with 0 PSI at the Bosch VP44 Injection pump and 15 PSI at the lift pump. So the increase in ID of the lines aids in pressure stability so like on my truck I start at 19 PSI at idle and 17 PSI at WOT. With the old stock lines it would start at 15 PSI and fall to 8 PSI. So you got to remember the larger line isn't for the 30% being burned but for the 70% that required for cooling and lubing.