• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Starting with FASS 150

I just replaced my VP and although it starts much better, there is still the 5-8 seconds of cranking to get her going.... I have read that the fuel pump should not be running while cranking, but I'm pretty darned sure mine is...I don't want to hurt this VP. Should my FASS150 turn off while cranking and then pump once it fires up????I'm jealous of Mike's video where his truck fires in just 3-rotations....

mine hits that quick. it was a little slower before i changed the factory batteries out a couple months back(chasing the starter contact problem our trucks have) if you want, throw a cutoff switch in the cab... but that is an indicative of a torn diaphram...has your ecu been modified? maybe to much timing?

Edited by guesswho512
added question

• Owner

I just replaced my VP and although it starts much better, there is still the 5-8 seconds of cranking to get her going.... I have read that the fuel pump should not be running while cranking, but I'm pretty darned sure mine is... I don't want to hurt this VP. Should my FASS150 turn off while cranking and then pump once it fires up???? I'm jealous of Mike's video where his truck fires in just 3-rotations....

Ummm... You might check the fuel pressure during cranking...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCJjMzRImpA

Excessive cranking pressure might be the cause of it...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm jealous of Mike's video where his truck fires in just 3-rotations....

3 revs....Wow, My 02 has always hit the instant I turn the key, Only time it cranks a bit more is if it is below 20 degrees and unplugged. 110k miles with OEM batteries yet also. My 05 as with most CR engines crank at least a few revs before firing though.

Oooooooooooh! That is a really tough break. Sorry to hear about that. I just bought a 2009 Honda Element SC and my daughter backed it into a ditch and did about $1,500 worth of damage. :$: Didn't have the brand new car for a month and dinged it up. :mad:

If the line pressure from the fass is 25 or higher it pushes the diaphragm on the vp and it will start hard.20 is ok.some rebuilt vp's dont change the overflow valve.That will make a hard start also.My fass does this:Turn key no start,fass will run for 1 or 2 sec. start up fass runs.If i bump my starter ,fass will run for 1 min.

Edited by dually

MUST BE VERY NICE.... I FEEL LIKE I'M TRYING TO GET A TURBINE RACE CAR STAGED... :biggrin:

A couple of questions: 1. Are you getting good smoke while cranking for extended periods during start attempts? 2. If so, have you done a compression check? 3. Just to eliminate the static fuel leakage issue, I would suggest trying a start attempt in the following manner: a. Install a known accurate fuel pressure gauge on the IP schrader valve or some place on the fuel system where you can eye ball it during the start attempt. b. Turn of the ignition key switch being careful to listen for the fuel lift pump to be actuated for approx. .5 sec. as well as noting that the fuel system develops approx. 5 psi give or take fuel pressure. Turn the ignition switch off. c. Without starting the engine, bump the starter to trigger the 20 second fuel lift pump run. d. Once you can see that the fuel pressure has reached max. (it should reach approx. 18 -21 psi) and while the lift pump is STILL running, attempt to start the engine. Does the engine fire right up pretty much instantaneously or does it still require extended starter motor cranking? Do you get an unusually large cloud of diesel smoke upon fire off of the engine when extended cranking is required? I would think this would help to determine whether the problem is fuel pressure/leak down or compression related. If compression is weak, it woulds stand to reason that it takes several revolutions to develop enough cylinder pressure and heat to ignite the diesel fuel PROVIDED you are getting good fuel delivery. A diesel has to have food air, fuel, compression (heat) to start properly. Something is takeing one of these away. Mine starts instantaneously with a mild puff of black smoke and almost no smoke on a cold start. I am proceeding under the presumption that you have the propane disabled for troubleshooting purposes and the Edge turned off. Once and IF you get a proper start sequence, you can add these back into the system individually to determine if they are causing or effecting the problem. Hope this helps get you on the right track.

• Owner

LiveOak is right... you need yo be sure you fuel system is keeping the injection pump feed properly. If the system is leaking down over night and the line are full of air it might prove tough to fire up in the mornings... Stock fuel lines from the factory lift pump back are all suction line so they never leak outwards. But the sure do leak air inwards to allow the fuel line from the tank to drain back. fuel pressure gauge would verify this problem because there would be pressure and then the pump would fall. Watch at 37 seconds on the video you'll see I suck in a air pocket. At this point the test failed i had to go fix the air leak. (Loose fitting) Then I started the test over.