• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cold Weather Warning!

Mopar1973Man

• Owner

For those of us in Idaho I'm submitting a cold weather warning. Make sure you got a bottle of anti-gel or some kerosene around. The temps around here are going to be nearing 0*F and even getting negative temps. Be sure to plug in your block heater or get your vehicle into shelter if possible. Take a preview... http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/graphical/sectors/pacnorthwestWeek.php#tabs Local Warnings... http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/boi/ Like here in Pinehurst the weather this morning is 16*F and still falling. :eek:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

well since it is the cold weather season.does anyone have any info for a base line intake air temp to increase winter time fuel economy? my truck gets its best mpg from 55 to 75 deg. with low humidity. we put cold air kits on why not reverse for winter use and temper intake air?

90 to 110 ok . is that @ intake of motor or @ your BHAF? I would like to find a oil or water temp gauge that goes down to 90 deg. and tap int my intake air horn. what im thinking is building a box around my air filter.one side would be open to fender for summer use and open to motor for winter use. but on outside of box on motor side mount an 12" x 10" x 3/4" oil cooler,used as heat exchanger.tie into heater core supply lines.should still have enough water flow to oe heater core to heat cab properly. will check with guys at work about BTU output ofheat exchanger.any idea of CFM draw for 24valve @ say 2000 RPM?

• Owner

90 to 110 ok . is that @ intake of motor or @ your BHAF?

IAT Temp sensor in the rear of the head.

I would like to find a oil or water temp gauge that goes down to 90 deg. and tap int my intake air horn.

No need the sensor already present and can be read with a Edge juice or ScanGauge II.

what im thinking is building a box around my air filter.one side would be open to fender for summer use and open to motor for winter use. but on outside of box on motor side mount an 12" x 10" x 3/4" oil cooler,used as heat exchanger.tie into heater core supply lines.should still have enough water flow to oe heater core to heat cab properly. will check with guys at work about BTU output ofheat exchanger.any idea of CFM draw for 24valve @ say 2000 RPM?

Not really needed... Just run a winter front you should be good...:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Woke up this morning and it was 38. Went back to bed, got up at 9 and it wouldnt to bad 43, at 1:00 it got up to 65. Now thats where I like it. Went out back and started burning brush, it rained the day before so good day for it, until the norther blew in, holy crap, scared the you know what out. Thats Tx. for ya if you dont like the weather just wait it will change.Oh yea didnt mean to trespass just passin through. lol

Edited by jlwelding

Last night the temp went down to 14*f and the truck started perfect without being plugged in and I still didn't block the grill off [ too damn cold to work outside today]. Tonight is going down to 8*f so I might plug it in. The PS pump is kind of whiney so I let it idle at about 1,200 for a few mins to warm up before I move it at all. Maybe I'll go outside for a couple of minutes and see if I can block the grill with something...

[update] I just went outside and cut up an old helmet box and made 4 grill covers [ approx 3"X21"] for my truck. I only had wire tie wraps to hold them on with so it'll be interesting to see how long they stay on. :) Some of those electric fan mounting kits would work alot better.

We obviously don't get temps like you Dan.I have dealt with this in places very cold before though.Graf, Germany, January 1985, as a mechanic in the Army we received the first Bradley fighting vehicles. They were/are equipped with a Cummins 903. We had many troubles initially due to the depot over-idling them for 2 winter seasons. (bent pushrods from build-up between lifters/pushrds/rockers)Nothing like pulling 25 motors outside in 20 below.

That must have been nasty when you figure that you have a real durable engine and then it ends up having issues, and 20 below is just too damn cold no matter what you are doing. You can't work with gloves and when you take them off you end up with frostbite like I've had on my thumbs for about 15 years now.