• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Cold Weather Warning!

Mopar1973Man

We were mostly just R&R guys being 2nd echelon maintenance. I was young and learned a bunch from the Cummins rep assigned to us.Fortunately, they designed the Bradley with maintenance in mind (somewhat), so removal only took a couple of guys about 1.5 hours in that weather. Much faster in short sleeves.The real battle, as you hit on was not getting frostbit, or hurt. ....Ah, the good ole days.

I am here to tell you you aint gettin me out of Tx in the winter you people can keep all that -20 junk. I freeze when it gets below 60. LOL

:agree::agree::agree: it just seems everything takes more time in the cold....and as a contractor, speed is all i know. besides it always seems the telco lines are always "hot"(got voltage) when its cold!

Todays high is gonna be around 29 degrees and it is going down into the single digits tonight. The farm animals are NOT liking it. :thud:

They aclamate really quick. I knew it wouldn't be long for T-shirt weather here, after a few days of -20 and -10's it hit +10 the other day and there were guys wearing nothing but t-shirts in town already, I can tell you as 1 who has to work in the elemnts you do get used to it pretty fast.

We got all this -5F or so crap forecasted. I wasn't keeping up with the weather until I heard -4 on the radio. Thought I was picking up a station really far away. To me, anything below 20F feels the same, I just have to look at the overhead to determine how hard it's going to be to start. I haven't started it all week but college is back in session tomorrow so I got it plugged in all day so it's week long rest will be awakened happily. Dumped in some power service, fuel around here seems to run right on the edge of gelling.

I don't trust 2 cycle to prevent gelling :lol3: Though I know Mike runs just it all winter. I think. But I don't need to be as cautious as him about lube. Plus I am sure it will help starting, since I can't plug it in there. 7AM class this semester will ensure it starts at the coldest time of day :bang: Alright I gotta head out.

• Owner

And still using... I've seen a few time were I got lazy and said "screw it I add at the next stop for fuel" well watching the fuel pressure and it would start to fall from 15 down to about 12 PSI. I would stop in the next little town or wide spot add a heavy shot of 2 cycle and watch the fuel pressure slowly climb back up to 15 PSI as it mixes with the AirDog pump. So I have a good clue that I'm close to right but how far it will go without gelling I've never seen it down to -20*F now...:whistle: Cmns2500 is right I don't use cetane booster or injection cleaners... This is what my 160K mile injectors look like after 4 years of 2 cycle oil at 128:1 ratio. so there is no nedd for cleaner when there clean already! http://forum.mopar1973man.com/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=178

They look kind of dirty to me but then again I'm new to the diesel thing so I guess I don't know what a real dirty injector looks like. I do like the 2 cycle oil and in the spring I'm going to try the oil that I used to run in my racing go kart called Burris Hi Rev Castor 2 cycle oil, but during the winter I'm running a low ash snowmobile 2 cycle oil.

Edited by Racer Dan

They look kind of dirty to me but then again I'm new to the diesel thing so I guess I don't know what a real dirty injector looks like. I do like the 2 cycle oil and in the spring I'm going to try the oil that I used to run in my racing go kart called Burris Hi Rev Castor 2 cycle oil, but during the winter I'm running a low ash snowmobile 2 cycle oil.

you have to remember, those are inside the cylinder. unlike most gassers, that have'm in the intake manifold. but i don't see any carbon build up, which can be a problem with our motors when they idle for extended periods(ie operating when not fully warm). Edited by guesswho512

• Owner

Got to remember when you pull a injector out of the hole the diesel fuel and engine oil runs down the injectors making them wet looking. But as for the tips they will always be black with just a tad of soot which is normal. But like Cmns2500 said the holes are clear and the soot isn't piled up on the tips.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a question! Upon figuring out how to find averages and records for places, I came to find out, it has never been below -10F in Riggins, ever. So, how did you get this -20F temp? I take it Riggins is down lower and you live higher up where the temps get lower.. The record here is -33F, so I suddenly don't feel as sorry for you all :lmao: