• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch install

Going to have to do a clutch in my '02. H.O. Putting thinking about a valair organic/organic. @ 400 hp. It is a daily driver, work truck. Only mods is an EZ box. My only future upgrades will be a set of rv275'sI'm under a time constraint here. i have a couple of questions. Do i have to resurface the flywheel? The clutch is just starting to slip under WOT now. If it looks ok with no heat cracks or deep grooves? Ive got 307,000 on the stock clutch.

i installed a valair ceramic kevlar (nmu70279-06) $760 myself on my current daily driver rig, had the flywheel turned and it was in great shape, break it in properly and with a precise clutch foot you can slip it a bit. at first it will be grabby till you get used to the new position. it holds ALL my power i can put to it with the skinny pedal.i do recommend a new throw out arm, throwout bearing, throwout arm pivot ball and flywheel pilot bearing. make sure to properly grease the throwout bearing so it wont bind after time and give yourself a full day to do it. replace everything now so you dont have to take it apart for again for a long while. also make sure to put gasket sealer on the shift tower or the spray will leak out, good time to change fluid too.while in there replace the rear main if you feel it should be done. it took me and a friend with a trannyjack 2 stands and a floor jack 12 hrs from start to finish. im satisfied with the clutch and recommend valair.i suggest having help with this as the tranny is not light, i almost dropped mine on me, had the lift plate angled wrong and it slipped

You mean the street dual disk? I dont think you will want to daily drive a tripple disk clutch designed for sled pulling. I just odered one of their street dual disks and it will be a bit of a hassle to drive on the street compared to stock.

i was on other forums and some guys say they went with dual disk just to go to triple later and daily drive them and say like triple better then dual but thats not my opinion. i got some off brand single disk in mine that doesn't have much for friction it's either on or off probubly doesn't have spring hub, kind of sucks towing and if i turn my qwad box up it will slip so im thinking of a diferent cluch, just thought triple from valair has 3250 pressure should still be soft and sience it's triple might slip a little more for towing take off.dual has 3800 pressure and id think that it would suck taking off with a trailer. i don't realy know what i'm talking about just trying to see if anyone used it for towing and playing and their thoughts.

I didnt know they had a 3250 out now. I have driven the DD ceramic clutch and its like an on/off switch, jerky and a leg workout but I guess it will take some getting used to and learning how to drive with it. I would think valair's DD organic would be great and it was the clutch I originally wanted but was told it wouldnt hold up infront of a sled so I went with the ceramic. Hopefully I can get it in before the weekend and will let yall know how it works.

Going to have to do a clutch in my '02. H.O. Putting thinking about a valair organic/organic. @ 400 hp. It is a daily driver, work truck. Only mods is an EZ box. My only future upgrades will be a set of rv275's

I'm under a time constraint here.

i have a couple of questions. Do i have to resurface the flywheel? The clutch is just starting to slip under WOT now.

If it looks ok with no heat cracks or deep grooves? Ive got 307,000 on the stock clutch.

Organic/Organic are you looking at a DD clutch, or just a all organic SD? If the DD it comes with new flywheel.

I tow a 11,000# 5th wheel so optioned for Valair's DD Organic. You do need to change you clutch habits a bit, but not much. I use to just let the clutch out on flat ground then accelerate, now I need to bring the rpms up just a bit (950 to 1,000) and slip it just a bit.

Organic/Organic are you looking at a DD clutch, or just a all organic SD? If the DD it comes with new flywheel. I tow a 11,000# 5th wheel so optioned for Valair's DD Organic. You do need to change you clutch habits a bit, but not much. I use to just let the clutch out on flat ground then accelerate, now I need to bring the rpms up just a bit (950 to 1,000) and slip it just a bit.

Organic single disk. A DD just seems too much.