• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Weird Hot Wire alternator. ATTN Mike Nel.

Hey mike we spoke on the phone lastnight im having the temp issue. 00cummin on the other fourm. Anyway i got to thinking is it possible the person i bought this truck from knew the ECM Was going bad and was shutting down the charge, so he hard wired the alternator this way so he could sell the truck? :mad:

• Staff

I know for certain that plug laying on top is for a Bosch style alternator. And your alternator is a rebuilt Denso style. The Ultima sticker shows it is a rebuilt alternator. According to reviews that rebuilder has a bad reputation. That's beside the point anyhow, but, it looks like to me that the previous owner did not want to cut off the plug and put on the right electrical terminals in case he wanted to go back to the Bosch style alternator. Getting wire to that plug is near impossible so he went back to the source rather than trying to deal with the pin plug.Yesterday I pulled my Bosch alternator and put in a new Denso style. I just cut the plug and added terminals like your supposed to. And it does not matter which wire goes to either small stud on the back of the alternator. They are none polar.You want to watch rebuilt alternators rebuilt by Ultima is the word out there.I have reason to believe that the Denso alternators are a little better than the Bosch.BTW, looling at the pics again tells me you have an alternator that is for a different rig because it should have two smaller studs on the back. Not that thing on top where the pins look cut off. The denso also has a stud connection for a alternator housing ground to go to the negative side of the battery. Someting is not right with that alternator that's on there. It should be a 136 amp alternator with that added ground stud.

• Owner

Something is wrong here... :think:

Here is what I found looking up the Ultima 05-0321 Alternator and here is the back side. Some has chopped up your alternator pure and simple.

Posted Image

From...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT0/050321/01468.oap?year=2001&make=Dodge&model=Ram%2B2500&vi=1400072&ck=Search_01468_1400072_-1&pt=01468&ppt=C0330

• Staff

Mike that's a GI alternator isn't it? I don't know about those, but it does have the Denso style main cable to battery.It looks like to me in the pics that the previous owner has cut the small pins for the pin connector off for some unknown reason.I'm just goin by the four alternators that I have ..... First gen, a Denso and a Delco Remy. Second gen done yesterday, a Bosch replaced with a Denso. To start I would be to looking at the alt and see if it is the correct amp rating stamped on the back or the side, but, why that pin connector is on top in the pics :nono:...none are like that I have....Something isn't right. everyone I talked with said either only a Denso or Bosch, that's all they listed anyhowOn edit.... What the heck do I know anyhow. I'm gettin old but would like to help so much I just open my mouth...... I think what happened is that alt might be one with a Voltage regulator????????????????

• Owner

Mike that's a GI alternator isn't it?

No that's a Ultima just like the OP's alternator right down to the part number. What I was showing is the typical Dodge field plug in back compared to his hack field leads. Even peek at my alternator test video. I've got the same plug.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w0WF5wr2g