• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

closupman

I am new to this so here we go please bear with me I have a 98.5 24v with a recent starting issue yesterday when I attempted to start my truck everything seemed normal WTS light came on went off truck started and ran for about 10 seconds died and now it will not start cranks very well but will not fire check engine light now shines after cranking I am thinking its a fuel delivery scenario but not confirmed weather at present not best and its sitting in driveway maybe ASD needs reset although recently I have noticed a slight diesel odor after truck is parked for awhile so I am thinking it may be a leak of sorts possibly at lift pump or fuel pump any input on this that I may look into would be greatly appreciated

You need to code scan.

thanks will scan and return

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to say it but it almost seems like an injection pump. But that is an ify idea since it started and then quit. Can you here fuel transfer pump running? Turn ignition on and bump the starter, transfer pump should run for 20-25 seconds.

pump is not running just tried

Have you checked our oil? If an injector was leaking and losing your prime on fuel it would fill up the combustion bowl on piston and full the crankcase which could be bad if it got to far out of hand. But once again it wouldn't make sense that it started

That us most likely the problem then. If you have help you can unplug the connector at transfer pump and check for 12v while some bumps the starter. If you have voltage you will need to replace transfer pump and should be good then if it hasn't gotten the injection pump. I just got one from Cummins for my truck it was 159.51 plus tax and shipping.

Have you checked our oil? If an injector was leaking and losing your prime on fuel it would fill up the combustion bowl on piston and full the crankcase which could be bad if it got to far out of hand. But once again it wouldn't make sense that it started

oil is fine no known problems there may know more after scan I must get one any suggestions?

oil is fine no known problems there may know more after scan I must get one any suggestions?

Autozone has some good ones but you will pay for them. I have the $100 from harbor freight and it works just fine. Or you could spend a lil more and buy SG2. It will read and clear but it only gives code number and you will have to look it up
  • Like 1

• Owner

Or you could spend a lil more and buy SG2. It will read and clear but it only gives code number and you will have to look it up

But I got you covered with a full list of codes here... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes Personally I like the UltraGauge and ScanGauge II because both have live data displays where a cheap OBDII just does error codes and reset the CEL light. For the extra $60 bucks you can add another tool to the pile.

But I got you covered with a full list of codes here... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes Personally I like the UltraGauge and ScanGauge II because both have live data displays where a cheap OBDII just does error codes and reset the CEL light. For the extra $60 bucks you can add another tool to the pile.

Thats why I threw it out there to him. You were right about SG2 being extremely useful. Glad I bought one

sounds like injection pump, you defiantly need to pull the codes. but i would also unplug the lift pump and test for power at the plug with a multimeter or test light. i had issues with my old 99, the lift pump would not come on until i hit the starter 2 or 3 times, i ended up re swingeing the lift pump, but i never had a CEL. I was told it was a bad circuit in the pcm.

I'm back scanned truck and now I do not have CEL light so no codes but truck still doesn't start turns over great just no fire I can't hear lift pump as I did prior to problem so I am going to assume that may be a problem but then wouldn't that turn on the CEL sorry I am fishing a bit here as soon as snow is off vehicle I plan to test pump for power any other suggestions greatly appreciated

As far as I know it would not throw the CEL if the transfer pump was not running. I'm not for sure of this since I caught mine before the pump totally quit. I don't believe it would as it only has two wires going to it. A power and ground. Anyone else know if it would?

is it possible a fuse is blown to the pump plus if I smelled diesel a week or so prior to problem is it possible to have lost prime and caused it to blow the fuse I am just asking these things until I can get hood opened and check pump its covered with snow now gonna warm up Sunday and Monday though