• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

oil level keeps rising

What did you do specifically for checking for blowby? A compression test would really only be the real way to test for that. But, you would have different problems than your oil level rising.First, its a good idea to check and see WHAT is causing your oil to rise. Is it antifreeze, or is it diesel? Oil will be a creamy color if there is antifreeze.Diesel in your oil will need to have a "paper towel" test performed to get an idea of any diesel in the oil. Take a paper towel, let one drop of oil fall onto the paper towel. Make sure the towel is not folded. Allow the oil to soak into the towel. If it quickly dissipates and becomes more transluscent, then you have diesel in the oil. Especially if the drop turns into about the size of a quarter.This is by no meas a professional way at determing fuel level in the oil. An oil analysis or physically pulling the injectors and getting them bench tested will be the best way to tell you what is going on.I would also advise against driving the truck until you can figure out what is going on. Diesel does not make a good lube!

• Like 1

• Owner

Injectors is the only way for fuel to get in the oil. Crossover tubes if they leak it will leak back into the return rail ad back to the fuel tank.Compression test is the only way to judge the cylinder health on a one by one. Blow by test is a summary test that doesn't always detect blowby issues...

its not antifreeze, the radiator is clean and the over flow tank is full, could engine oil stop leak be the problem? the oil doesnt smell like fuel. also the oil doesnt turn translusent its black, when i did the paper towel thing.

Well, I would say that its got me stumped. As I don't see how the oil level could increase unless something was being added. I dunno of anything else that could add to the oil... If however you added a product to the oil, then obviously there is going to be some displacement from adding it. The best route I could recommend now is an Oil analysis...

Like hex0rz said the only thing would make the oil level rise is antifreeze or diesel unless you put something in and you would know if you did that lol. I also agree that you do not need to drive truck until you get it figured out. if it is a injector that is not firing right you can wash down the cylinder which if gone long enough can mess up the block unless these motors have piston sleeves(I do not know if they do as I have never been in one of these motors).