• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone Do The VR Install on Their 24 Valve?

• Staff

There aren't many guys doing it. Only one guy on the net I can find so far and he had troubles. Ended up just goin back to the PCM voltage regulator. :think:I want to do it because of RFI noises and possible damage to the computer. This is according to a couple electrical engineers recommendations I was reading about .

• Owner

I don't suggest the Voltage regulator install unless its for a temporary band-aid till you get a replacement PCM. The PCM voltage regulator is more precise than the external voltage regulator. The external using air temperature for voltage control where the PCM actually samples the battery temperature. When a battery is cold the charge voltage is increased till the battery temp warms up. But on a external voltage regulator if the regulator is sensing cold temps from wind or other sources then the charge rate could be held to high to long and boil the electrolyte of the battery (overheating). Then visa-versa could happen if its a hot summers day then the external regulator could reduce and not charge the battery properly and leave you with a dead battery. These are a few of the reason the old school regulator was upgraded to the PCM. I'm not saying it doesn't work but the PCM does a better job of regulation than the external.

• Staff

I've been stuck thinking on this alternative VR for a long time. It's only because of what's been said from engineers saying it's best to mount the vr as far from sensitive electronics as you can.They do have some 2 and 3 hundred dollar VR's... supposed to be some of the best out there.

THere are several 3 stage marine regulator systems that also have battery temperature thermocouples. Check West Marine's website for reference. THESE SYSTEMS END UP EXTENDING THE LIFE OF THE BATTERY, SOMEWHAT. **Durn caploks** They are also very stable & have full RFI supression, as an interferance issue on the open ocean can mean fatalities.Ed

• Staff

THere are several 3 stage marine regulator systems that also have battery temperature thermocouples. Check West Marine's website for reference. THESE SYSTEMS END UP EXTENDING THE LIFE OF THE BATTERY, SOMEWHAT. **Durn caploks** They are also very stable & have full RFI supression, as an interferance issue on the open ocean can mean fatalities. Ed

I've been looking at those but, noticed they have many more wires :think:. Hoping they have real good directions if I go that route. I think they'd be a great advantage for rv batteries hooked up to the truck when long haulin too..

If you are planning on charging a decent sized RV battery bank, some of the regulators have a "Ghost charge" lead. Also, how I wired up "House battery banks" on boats, is to use an ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) that seperates the house bank when no charging happens.Quote from West Advisor:

"

Automatic Charging Relays (ACRs, also called Voltage Sensitive Relays) are a popular method for achieving the same goal as isolators, but they work on a different principle. Instead of using diodes to block current from flowing in both directions, ACRs use mechanical relays combined with a circuit that senses when a charging source is being applied to either battery. When a charge is being applied, the ACR closes; and when the circuit senses that the charge is no longer present, the ACR opens (after a short time delay to assure that the ACR doesn’t open due to temporary voltage sags caused by load startups, like a refrigerator turning on).

Automatic Charging Relays have lots of other uses in addition to isolating the Start and House batteries, and we offer a broad selection now from Blue Sea Systems and BEP Marine. ACRs can be used for load shedding, pilothouse navigation battery isolation, and charge current limiting for a remote battery."

They are adjustable for high & low voltage cutoff. They can also be used for an emergency "Paralell" switch to effectively use the RV/spare battery to jump start (WITH LARGE ENOUGH CONDUCTORS).

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an article that explains the basics of marine charging systems:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Alternators#.UUhqmVeGm3Y

Ed

• Like 1

• Staff

Ed, thank you for taking time to do the write up and shed a little extra light on a better way for handling the rv batteries.I will look into that some more.BTW, I think Blue Sea Systems is the very highest quality manufacturer of 12 volt systems and parts.