• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Not sure where to post this so please move to where appropriate. Question is can a Smarty be used to read generic codes? Ie non diesel? To be specific, 98 jeep grand Cherokee and a 05 set4? Just got a smart phone:hyper: and interested in an ob2 reader but if the Smarty will do it no need. Unless the app can double as a scan gauge. :stuned:

True, I suppose I thoguht the OBDii system was a little more universal than what it is. Guess its back to my original plan. Doesnt hurt to ask. Also was hoping so since I found out the 98 Jeeps seem to be the only year the key dance trick doesnt work with. :doh:

• Owner

Another hang up is the the fact that Smarty can't tune on the fly. So if your weather conditions or road conditions change rapidly you might be flashing back and forth a bunch. Where a module like Edge allows for this. Most people have good results with the ScanGauge II for OBDII code reading plus you have all the live data you can read from the ECM sensors. Yes, the newer SGII can read boost accurately but no it does not read fuel pressure or EGT's. It can only report for the sensors that are hooked to the ECM or PCM.

• Staff

Another hang up is the the fact that Smarty can't tune on the fly. So if your weather conditions or road conditions change rapidly you might be flashing back and forth a bunch. Where a module like Edge allows for this.

The ability to tune on the fly is one of those myth's that people worry about. In all honesty if the tune is good there isn't really a reason to change on the fly. Depending on the trucks setup people usually only need 1 or 2 tunes total for all their uses. I personally just have 1 tune, but I have written tunes for people that want 2 a towing tune and a max power tune and the hp difference is hundreds, so it makes sense. But there isn't really even a need to go on the fly for those two, you generally know when your going to be towing heavy. I have seen lots of people get hung up on tuning on the fly and once they don't have it they generally don't miss it. I can't speak for 2nd gens, but on a 3rd gen the Smarty tuning is so much better than the Edge that it really isn't a factor. The last thing about tuning on the fly is people tend to turn it higher than they have supporting mods for when they are trying to show off. With a tuner you set it at the highest level you want, or can support, and forget about it. If you feel like a romp you aren't tempted to add another 50hp, or more, that you cannot safely support.

Most people have good results with the ScanGauge II for OBDII code reading plus you have all the live data you can read from the ECM sensors. Yes, the newer SGII can read boost accurately but no it does not read fuel pressure or EGT's. It can only report for the sensors that are hooked to the ECM or PCM.

My SGII reads great, but it cannot clear codes on the Dodge. It does clear them on my Toyota or VW thou.

• Owner

I'm the reverse of it. I'm tuned so I can use all of the power given without any problem. But like running around on the highway is find and dandy. But if I was on 5x5 and ran down to Lucile and turn up Cow creek road I would have to turn down the the power to prevent the truck from losing traction and spinning the tires as I head up Cow creek road which is nothing more than a steep one lane dirt road. So less traction I need to delay on the boost to prevent wheel spin with a quick change on the Edge I got my level already programmed and set up so I just tune it down. No stopping required. Something that would require reflash on a Smarty.Once again I'm not not just a pavement runner...As for your SGII that's weird you can't clear codes. Did you every contact ScanGauge and find out why?

• Staff

I'm the reverse of it. I'm tuned so I can use all of the power given without any problem. But like running around on the highway is find and dandy. But if I was on 5x5 and ran down to Lucile and turn up Cow creek road I would have to turn down the the power to prevent the truck from losing traction and spinning the tires as I head up Cow creek road which is nothing more than a steep one lane dirt road. So less traction I need to delay on the boost to prevent wheel spin with a quick change on the Edge I got my level already programmed and set up so I just tune it down. No stopping required. Something that would require reflash on a Smarty.

Not entirely true. That's where a tuner has better control over a module and can negate the need for that. It's all in how you have it setup. Can you setup a Smarty so you have no traction on gravel, of course.. but you can also set it up to be better on light throttle than stock and then rip into it when you want to.

Once 2nd gen's get UDC it will be even better.

As for your SGII that's weird you can't clear codes. Did you every contact ScanGauge and find out why?

Yeah, it's the way the Dodge ECM talks and clears codes. It's different than other vehicles so they didn't write the code fully. Not sure what years this applies too.

• Owner

Once again based on my experience with the 24V model of Smarty I borrowed from Bob Wagner way back when (about 5 years ago) I will admit that Catcher is exactly that.

CaTCHER stands for Clutch and Traction Challenger

Never the less my truck had problems with Smarty way too aggressive even back then. UDC would be nice...