• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Starts then dies

hey all, got an 02 dodge ram 2500 that the only way i can get to fire up is to break #1 and 3 injector lines loose. The truck will then crank, run about 10-15 sec and die.. Lil history, truck died while driving it , the pick up pump was replaced(not by me) and brought to me with the problem it has now.. I checked voltage at the pump and have 12 volts, checked it as the truck dies and no voltage loss.. Checked the fuel pressure at the injector pump. Fuel pressure is 12 psi and also does not drop as the truck starts to die.. Found code p0216, found your vp44 trouble shooting articlefollowed it to the wire jump and by it the injector pump was bad.. replace pump, truck still does the same thing. Talked to another tech that said it sounded like the an injector was hanging open. So i pulled the injectors out and had them tested. 2 injectors were found to be bad and 3 of them were weak.. Replaced all six injectors, yet still same problem. Seams its running out of fuel between the injector pump and injectors.. There are no inactive or active codes when a reader is hooked to it, but when i cycle the key 3 times it shows p ecu 0230 (injector pump voltage if i remember right) unhook the batteries for 20 mins or so to reset the code.. code is still there when batteries are hooked back up, but obd2 still shows no codes..

• Owner

You might have fuel pressure but if the pump is pushing air into the system then it will stall out every time because air will compress and VP44 won't be able to reach pop pressure so it will stall out. Just because you so fuel pressure make sure you not push a bunch of foam or air too. VP44 just don't like air period.

sorry guys been out sick for a couple days.. the refrence to psi was so i didnt get everyone telling me it was the pick up pump.. I figured it was air but im not sure where its coming from. When the truck dies the filter bowl is still full.. So i guess its coming from somewhere betweeen the injector pump and the injectors.. Inspected the tubes and there were no nicks or burs.. any suggestions on how to determine where the air is coming from?

Hidden

sealing washers on the input and return lines?

New were installed with the new pump, but i will start there.. Maybe a new one was bad cause i sure didnt inspect them

- - - Updated - - -

Installed new banjo washers on the injector pump and at pick up pump. Same issue.. Checked the filter bowl and this time its only a 1/4 full.. I cycled the key to kick in the p/u pump and it has chit loads of air bubbles. Inspected the fuel line to the tank and i couldnt visually see anything.. There is an orange oring on the inside of the supply line to p/u pump, i didnt pull this oring out nor could i see anything wrong with it.. Air is coming in somewhere between p/u pump and fuel tank i think..

Installed new banjo washers on the injector pump and at pick up pump. Same issue.. Checked the filter bowl and this time its only a 1/4 full.. I cycled the key to kick in the p/u pump and it has chit loads of air bubbles pumping into the filter bowl. Inspected the fuel line to the tank and i couldnt visually see anything.. There is an orange oring on the inside of the supply line to p/u pump, i didnt pull this oring out nor could i see anything wrong with it..

The lift pump is just pumping what comes up the fuel line. Not sure if the pump can go bad and suck air on its own. If air is getting in some where prior to the pump its going to pump it into the vp. The fuel line is connected to the the top of the fuel basket at the top of the tank. That would be another place to check, and possibly something inside the fuel basket could be letting air in also. You can see the top of the fuel basket if you look over the frame rail near where the rear leaf springs attach to the frame(on my long bed). Something is letting air in and as Mr. DIESELPWR says air aint your friend. The reason I asked about type of pump is that i have heard of complaints of Air Dog quick connects leaking. I have them on mine and they seem to be fine. I have had a few instances of hard start that is cured if I cycle the pump once. It could be those fittings causing my issue. It has only happened a few times in the past couple of years and not bothersome enough to me for now.