• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tapped Fuel Filter Cap

Does anyone still make a tapped fuel filter cap for the 2000 - 2002 style fuel filter assemblies. I checked GENO's and he doesn't carry them any more apparently, and a Google search didn't turn up anything. Just looking for an easy way to bleed air out of the system after filter changes since this is the highest point in the system. Thx

The stock cap is cheap, brittle plastic that would most likely crack. Plus the hex in the center that is used to remove it is hollowed out to reduce material. The resulting "hole" is approximately 1/2" to 5/8" so the resulting drill and tap size would be large as well. If I pick up a used one I might try it but I don't have much faith in it holding up well.

I thought all big line kits came with a tapped elbow?Cut your 1/2" line between the VP and the filter housing. install a tee with 1/2" push loc fittings, and on the "tee" side, adapt down to 1/8" NPT, and stick a compression fitting on it.

Is it necessary? Isnt there a schrader bleeder on the side of your VP44? I know mine has one. Bleeding the fuel filter canister and VP44 is very simple. Bump the key, lift pump comes on for 30 sec, push the scrader pfffffft! air shoots out then fuel and you are good to go

I wasn't looking for assistance, advice or opinions on how to bleed the fuel system on my truck. I asked if anyone knows of a company that still sells a tapped fuel filter cap for 2000-2002 trucks. Thx to assistance of one of the forum members I was able to find a used one. Still haven't heard of a company that currently sells them.

No offense taken, just trying to keep the focus on the topic. I asked a simple question and got lots of answers and questions to an unasked (but frequently asked) different question. Been turning wrenches for 4 decades and I'll be the first to admit I don't have all the answers. That's why I check this forum often, it's a huge wealth of info. I also understand that everyone is trying to help and it's difficult to gauge each members knowledge/experience. They don't give a score for that. Thx

The "bleed" on the pump is installed as a way for techs to monitor FP and is not ideally located to serve as an air bleed. Air always accumulates at the highest point in fluid systems and is where air bleeds if installed are located. 8 days after a filter change my fuel gauge is still fluctuating from trapped air. After I finally get all the air out, the gauge is rock steady.

The "bleed" on the pump is installed as a way for techs to monitor FP and is not ideally located to serve as an air bleed. Air always accumulates at the highest point in fluid systems and is where air bleeds if installed are located. 8 days after a filter change my fuel gauge is still fluctuating from trapped air. After I finally get all the air out, the gauge is rock steady.

i will agree with you fully, but on a dry empty system, one could open that schrader valve and allow fuel to flow/pushing what air out it can. the rest will get burped out of the system through time.

i will agree with you fully, but on a dry empty system, one could open that schrader valve and allow fuel to flow/pushing what air out it can. the rest will get burped out of the system through time.

If it's at a high point in the fuel system doesn't matter. With the lift pump running, (bump the starter for a second) all air will expel from the filter canister AND the VP via the schrader on the side of the VP simply because the fuel is being forced by the lift pump. The whole deal only takes a few minutes. Couldn't be any simpler. There really is no need for a bleeder on the fuel cannister cap. The bleeder on the VP will purge air from the fuel cannister and VP. Here is a vid demonstrating this. Made by a guy in hawaii: