• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

There has been a lot of discussion about oil samples lately and another member had a sample with high Silicon in his sample and after a few questions found he had a good chance of contaminating the sample with dirt while taking the sample the wrong way. I took some pics of a couple different tools to do it the correct way to eliminate the chance of dirt in the sample. There are 2 different tools to get this done and I will attach pics of both here.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of an oil sampling gun with hose and sample bottle attached, also in the picture is an oil sample port that Cat uses on all of the component on their newer equipment, I also have one of these installed in my system for easier and cleaner sampling than the sample gun.post-10023-138698202324_thumb.jpg Also as you can see the sample port fittings come in either o-ring boss or pipe thread to accommodate different places you would want to pull a sample from, Cat uses almost 100% o-ring boss fittings. In another pic shows the yellow rubber cap that covers the fitting and as you can see it is labeled as engine oil, on the Cat equipment different components have different colored caps and are labeled hydraulic, transmission ect.

post-10023-138698202293_thumb.jpg

post-10023-138698202305_thumb.jpg

post-10023-138698202315_thumb.jpg

post-10023-138698202332_thumb.jpg

post-10023-138698202342_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I wasn't going to name anyone personally lol ?

I would have thought this thread would have gotten more attention, 24 hours and only 7 members have viewed it? :think:

- - - Updated - - -

Got an account setup with Amsoil, so I will be buying their siphon kit soon...

Personally I would go to a Cat dealer and get a sample port and install it on your engine and then get the little brass sample tool from them, a lot cheaper and easier to use than the gun even, Cat also carries the hose in bulk as well. I have not used my sample gun in a few years, I always use the little brass sample tool. Cat even just released a new sample kit, It consists of a bottle cap with a hole in the center and about a foot of hose to use with what I am talking about, The mechanics like using that more so than anything now when pulling samples on equipment.

I wasn't going to name anyone personally lol ?

I would have thought this thread would have gotten more attention, 24 hours and only 7 members have viewed it? :think:

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I would go to a Cat dealer and get a sample port and install it on your engine and then get the little brass sample tool from them, a lot cheaper and easier to use than the gun even, Cat also carries the hose in bulk as well. I have not used my sample gun in a few years, I always use the little brass sample tool. Cat even just released a new sample kit, It consists of a bottle cap with a hole in the center and about a foot of hose to use with what I am talking about, The mechanics like using that more so than anything now when pulling samples on equipment.

Eh, its kinda like when you go tell a woman to go find a switch the size of your thumb to beat her with and she comes back with a little whp instead...

Can you source me an image of this sample port? Where does it install at? Can I use the plastic line that the SOS kit provides?

Eh, its kinda like when you go tell a woman to go find a switch the size of your thumb to beat her with and she comes back with a little whp instead... Can you source me an image of this sample port? Where does it install at? Can I use the plastic line that the SOS kit provides?

Pics of an o-ring boss and pipe thread sample port are in the pics above and yes all sample tubing is universal. Any Cat dealer will have this all in stock. Take the gun out of the second picture and you have all you would need, pictured are one of each o-ring boss and pipe thread, first pic shows how the 2 mate, with the engine running you have one end of the hose in the bottle and you push the sample fitting tool onto the sample port and engine oil pressure fills the bottle with fresh hot oil in about 2-3 seconds. There is also another type of sample tool similar to the one below that the hose attaches to only it is chrome and a 90 degree, I will get a pic of one from work next week. You can put the sample port right into a spare port right on top of the oil filter head. post-10023-138698202437_thumb.jpg

post-10023-138698202429_thumb.jpg

what are the average costs of this setup, and where do you recommend the sample port be located?

If you bought everything in the pictures under 50 bucks "I am not sure what the guns cost" , just the fittings and hose under 10 bucks bur pricing will vary from dealer to dealer I would suspect, and the easiest best spot for the fitting is right on top of the engine oil filter head as it states in the last sentence of my last post.

So, its not good to just take a sample from the drain plug or a syringe from the filter? also... Where would you recommend to put the sample port?

So, its not good to just take a sample from the drain plug or a syringe from the filter? also... Where would you recommend to put the sample port?

Never take a sample out of a filter and you can take a sample only if the drain plug area is cleaned very good before hand, the oil is hot and you dip from the full stream after is has run out for a few seconds to flush out any debris from the plug threads. Reread my last 2 posts sheesh doesn't anybody read anything any more?:doh::banghead:

Never take a sample out of a filter and you can take a sample only if the drain plug area is cleaned very good before hand, the oil is hot and you dip from the full stream after is has run out for a few seconds to flush out any debris from the plug threads. Reread my last 2 posts sheesh doesn't anybody read anything any more?:doh::banghead:

I guess not. Sorry bub.

Reread my last 2 posts sheesh doesn't anybody read anything any more?:doh::banghead:

:lmao: Okay, gotcha! Now, isn't that port on the oil filter block also used when you do an oil bypass kit? I would like to eventually have one, but was not sure if there would be a conflict between the two and that port? :think:

:lmao: Okay, gotcha! Now, isn't that port on the oil filter block also used when you do an oil bypass kit? I would like to eventually have one, but was not sure if there would be a conflict between the two and that port? :think:

Yes but if you add a bypass kit you can just simply tee into the pressure line or some bypass filter heads have ports on them as well.

• 2 weeks later...