• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Newbie 2-cycle questions

Hi Everyone,I am a new diesel owner and just was poking around on the forum and saw a lot of guys use 2-cycle oil as a fuel additive in there trucks. I just have a few questions. 1) What is the ratio of 2-cycle oil to gallons of gas?2) How often can you add it to the gas? Is it an every other fill up type deal? Or is it something you always do?Any info on this subject would be helpful! Thanks.

• Owner

For every gallon of fuel pumped into the tank you want 1 ounce of oil added. So if you pump 14 gallons of fuel in the tank then you want 14 ounces of oil. Fairly simple?128:1 Ratio... so for every 128 ounces (1 gallon) you put 1 ounce of oil. :wink:How often every time. Why? Because Bosch states for optimal life of the VP44 fuel is required to be 450 or less in HFRR score but todays US fuel is 520 HFRR on average. Higher the number the more damage occurs.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I am a new diesel owner and just was poking around on the forum and saw a lot of guys use 2-cycle oil as a fuel additive in there trucks. I just have a few questions.

1) What is the ratio of 2-cycle oil to gallons of gas?

2) How often can you add it to the gas? Is it an every other fill up type deal? Or is it something you always do?

Any info on this subject would be helpful! Thanks.

Just be sure to put it in your diesel fuel and not the gas.
  • Like 2

I learned of the 2-cyl additive after i bought my second cummins and joined this sight untill then i ran only Diesel Kleen. It works great but didn't quite the motor at all then went to 2 cycle 1 quart for every fill up. But now I use a 75%(2cly)-25%(Diesel Kleen) 1 quart Mix and it's a perfect mix. Out of all the cummins truck's around here my motor is byfar the quietest at both ideal and rolling. I leave my truck running when i go in store's and when i come out i have people standing around it all the time's to both praise the looks of it and say how quiet the motor is!!!

I ran diesel kleen for 2 to 3 months many years ago and never saw any benefit from it. No better mileage, performance, nothing claimed on the bottle. I was sorely disappointed with it. From the studies i have seen here and else where I am glad I stopped.

• Owner

I ran PS every other tank roughly guessing at doses. Never saw any gains to performance or MPG but it sure did help kill my OEM VP44 injection pump at 50K miles.Kind of like Dodge and Cummins black listing Fram filters for killing engines by plugging the oil cooler jets. so Power Service is blacklisted (in my book) for help killing my VP44 injection pump.

I ran PS every other tank roughly guessing at doses. Never saw any gains to performance or MPG but it sure did help kill my OEM VP44 injection pump at 50K miles. Kind of like Dodge and Cummins black listing Fram filters for killing engines by plugging the oil cooler jets. so Power Service is blacklisted (in my book) for help killing my VP44 injection pump.

My original vp lasted 75k. It was replace under warranty and I never asked why it failed. That was in the time frame of using the Diesel Kleen. I am not saying thats what killed it because i really dont know. The reman they put on lasted another 142k until replacement. It survived one lift pump failure, and an intank pump with crappy pressure. For most of its life it ran on LSD and not ULSD. I could still find it in some locations up to 09 or 2010 I think. Cant remember when it was completely phased out. No additives at all.

• 1 month later...

Some information has come to my attention that some of you that have replied to my thread might be interested in reading. For me i think two cycle oil is not the most efficient or costly option and am investigating trying some of the other treatments in these articles. Check it out and feel free to chime in if you have any other useful info or comments. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/64-maintenance-fluids/177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

I am running the 2 stroke at 128:1, like I read here and elsewhere. The study is based on a 200:1 ratio. I would have to let smarter minds than mine explain what the difference would be. But for me the 2 stroke is the easiest for me to get anywhere I go.

• Like 1

• Owner

Some information has come to my attention that some of you that have replied to my thread might be interested in reading. For me i think two cycle oil is not the most efficient or costly option and am investigating trying some of the other treatments in these articles. Check it out and feel free to chime in if you have any other useful info or comments. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-gm-trucks/64-maintenance-fluids/177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/68-hfrr-testing-of-common-diesel-fuel-additives

Do remember that 474 HFRR score is based on 200:1 ratio where the 128:1 ratio is roughly 380 HFRR which isn't to bad. Since I have a lot of 2 cycle engines (Stihl 046 Magnum, Stihl 461, Weed wacker, etc.) around I might well use the 2 cycle oil. It's always here why not? :shrug: