• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2006 5.9 blow by

jturner

no i dont have a long neck lol i just have oil all under my truck , and thanks for the replies ill check the vaccum

That oil helps prevent rust and corrosion. :lmao2: Seriously, a certain amount of blow by is normal. Both my truck and the wife's create enough blow by to cause some "custom undercoating" of the front axle and a little bit near the back and under side of the oil pan with some occassional spatterings of the rear axle (very rare). Do you have the OEM blow by slobber bottle or have you extended the engine breather hose so it vents in front of the front axle like I did ours with some PVC pipe and flexible hose?

That oil could be coming from a few other places.............leaking pan gasket, front cover area, rear seal etc. If your truck is running good and getting decent mileage, it's probably not blow by. By the way, I extended my breather tube about 5-6 inches with a brass double ended hose nipple and piece of hose just to keep any drips off the bottom of the truck.

jturner, Figure it out yet?I have an '06 too, buy haven't had it long enough to compare.There are many cases I know of personally where thinner weight oil caused more usage, but that is different than a gasket leak. (if that is the case)

• Owner

If you have injectors leaking, wouldn't you be have an unusual amount of black exhaust smoke? IE: extremely rich.

No actually you get a lot of white smoke of unburnt fuel. Because the common rail is always charged with fuel pressure so if there is a injector leak its sprays fuel constantly all the itime through the cycles (intake, compression, exhaust). Since this is possible if the injector is leaking during intake the boost pressure will push the fuel pash the rings and hence fuel in the oil. At close to 30,000 PSI 3rd gen injectors don't hold up very well at times. I've heard of tips breaking, pintles galling up and seizeing open, bodies cracking up the shank of them, etc. Here I know this is 24V VP44 injectors but notice the top of the injector is still poking out of the head. They never truely go all the way in... Hence why the injectors got a o-ring on it. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=158&stc=1&d=1262614547 http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=159&stc=1&d=1262614733 Now the only difference between both injectors is that the 3rd gen's are electronic fired over pressure fired. Now looking back at yester-year and seeing what a VE pump maxed out at was 17,550 PSI and popped at 3,500 PSI on the injectors. We've come a long ways and we are just pushing the limits of the parts...

post-2-138698162706_thumb.jpg

post-2-138698162712_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thanks for the clarification pics Michael. I have not been into a 5.9 before. But,,,,rich diesel burns black smoke and lean is white.I would speculate if that much fuel was getting by the rings, you'd wear them out from cylinder wash.Could they leak into the rocker arm area?

Actually too much atomized fuel with not enough air smokes black. Too much unatomized raw fuel leaking or dripping "From a bad injector" into a cylinder or a really cold or low compression engine smokes white. And yes too much raw fuel will wash the cylinder walls and cause a scored piston bore and or melt/erode a piston. and yes if an O-ring is bad or a cracked injector body happens it can leak up through the top of the head into the crankcase.

Edited by Wild and Free