• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My Banks system seems to be causing me some problems. Enough that I have removed it and am seeing some improvements in performance. The system came with an EGT and boost gauge both connected thru the Ottomind tuner. They neither one work now since I have removed the tuner. I will be driving back home in about 2 weeks and must travel thru the Blue Ridge to get home and I would like to at least get the EGT working. Would any of yall have an idea of how to wire the gauge to the thermo couple so it works?

Dave, look at the back of the gauge. Normally there are three wires or four on it. If there are three then two would be for the thermocouple and one for lighting. If there are four wires there usually is one for 12v+, two for thermocouple, and one for lighting. If you are going to wire it up there are two wires from the thermocouple that would go to the gauge. Hopefully it would work for you.

• Like 1

I have not pulled the gauge yet. I did take a quick look at the thermo couple and only see on wire coming from it. A very heavy gauge wire. I will investigate both a little better tomorrow. Thanks for the info Tom.

I guess I left that part out. The job is almost over and its time to head home, the rv and me. The Ottomind took care of EGT's and boost fooling. Since it is gone it will be up to me. Figure I can handle boost with my foot and tranny. I would like to monitor the EGT with the gauge. Lots of grades to pull from Terre Haute back to Hickory.

- - - Updated - - -

I pulled my egt gauge today and I have 4 wires. 2 to the light and 2 to the gauge. My thermo couple has 2 coming form it. I took the 2 wires off the gauge(not the wires to the light)and connected the two from the TC. I am getting a reading of 90* at idle and when I rev the engine it does go up. I no there is no way I am idling at 90*. I would have to assume that i need 12v to make it work and currently I have just wired the TC straight to the gauge. Gotta be something I am missing here. Bare in mind that you are talking to an electrical 1st grader here.

I guess I left that part out. The job is almost over and its time to head home, the rv and me. The Ottomind took care of EGT's and boost fooling. Since it is gone it will be up to me. Figure I can handle boost with my foot and tranny. I would like to monitor the EGT with the gauge. Lots of grades to pull from Terre Haute back to Hickory.

- - - Updated - - -

I pulled my egt gauge today and I have 4 wires. 2 to the light and 2 to the gauge. My thermo couple has 2 coming form it. I took the 2 wires off the gauge(not the wires to the light)and connected the two from the TC. I am getting a reading of 90* at idle and when I rev the engine it does go up. I no there is no way I am idling at 90*. I would have to assume that i need 12v to make it work and currently I have just wired the TC straight to the gauge. Gotta be something I am missing here. Bare in mind that you are talking to an electrical 1st grader here.

So you got another Chick-fil-a to build soon? Heck, by the sounds of, you're never home, though!

Usually you will idle around 200-250. Atleast I do. You don't need any power to the gauge for the gauge to read the thermocouple. The gauge gets its reading by the thermocouple creating voltage. If I knew what type of thermocouple you had, I could probably find you a table to follow so you could see what you should see on a DMM in relation to temperature.

Mine has always idled around 275* since I installed the gauge. I dont know who made the TC, it came with the Banks system. My DVM is reading 3.1v and the gauge is reading 90*. That is about all I know. the only other thing I know is the TC was wired to the Ottomind and then to the EGT gauge.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the CFA here in Terre Haute opens on 8-1 and I am free to leave on 8-2 at 1pm. My new CFA starts on 7-29 with a fill in supt until i get there on 8-5. You are correct on the home thing. This new one though is only 30 miles from the house, so I get to sleep in my own bed for a change. The only draw back is I loose my per diem for the job duration. Loosing the money sucks but I have a nice stash of building materials and some truck parts for me to work with. Making the trailer payments out of pocket is going to hurt the wallet pretty hard. Sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad.

- - - Updated - - -

I did get the egt connected but it reads way off. So I just ordered anew set of Isspro ev to replace them with so I am not tied to a programmer for gauges again. I am getting an overboost code ever since removing the tuner. The only draw back so far has been the engine defueling when to pressure gets high. Can a manual trannied truck go into limp mode with constant overboosting?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made my trip back without the banks and the gauges. I did hook the TC up straight to the gauge and got a reading though way off. The trip was very uneventful and the truck ran just fine. I missed the extra HP the banks provided, but with the rv 275's I had sufficient power for the mountains. Just drove a little slower and kept my foot out of it on the steeper grades. I did get me some new gauges but did not get to install them before leaving.