• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EDR or Black Box

anoldbiker

Seen on TV where the Feds are making it mandatory for the auto industry to have a black box (EDR) installed in EVERY vehicle sold starting 9 / 1. I heard this was coming, but didn't hear of the exact date intended until now. They did mentioned that some vehicle on the road does have this device already installed, but didn't state the companies or models. This can and will be used by law enforcement and insurance companies, and can be used against you.Does anyone know of this device and exactly which vehicles they have shoved it into so far ?How about the parts name or location ?I'm wondering how much trouble one can get into if the device was disarmed ?It was stated that in new vehicles, it states it's there in the owners manual, but did not state if it's a must to be there, or you have to maintain it there, or keep it functioning properly. Want to see how this rolls.Anyone have knowledge or info on this ?(I'm so tired of this constant Big Brother or the book 1984 approach to our freedom)

I do know that a lot of GM vehicles have them. There was a fatal accident back in 2009 not to far from here and law enforcement used the data from the GMC Yukon to help prosecute the driver. http://www.old.fox21online.com/news/dougherty-faces-misdemeanor-charges-double-fatal-accident The article does not mention the 'black box', but I do remember it was all over the news at the time it happened.

They did mention on the news that Toyota use the information on their vehicles black boxes when the speeding issues arose a year or so ago, and found out the people had their pedal to the metal except for one. That helped them with their legal issues.But with this device installed, it was mentioned that law enforcement can determine if the person was speeding, no seat belts, drunk driving ?, your present position, where you have been, and such has occurred ... and charge the driver. If the laws change, they can access this via satellite and just issue you a ticket and you never know it until the mail arrives.There is to much that is possible if they want, that is can deprive you of your 4th amendment rights and you never seen it coming. I like technology and the advancements it has brought, (it has save many lives) but I this is getting way out of hand. And the government (fed & local) seems to be dead center.

I saw the story in the news last night. They are saying the air bag module captures the last few seconds before deployment to determine correct operation. Other data can be gathered from the cars self diagnostic... OBD2. What scares me is insurance companies who want you to volunteer to plug a devise into your OBD2 port which tells them speed, acceleration & braking... not necessary when you are on a highway & when you are not. I've heard some devises track location... have cancelled insurance on people who claimed to garage their vehicle but were not or parked in one community but were not. So devise must have GPS (they claim not) or phone tower locator alternative. If I have a serious crash & the insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they can down load the data. I'll not be plugging a tracker into my vehicle. It's none of their business if I spend my lunch break at a strip club or with a bimbo! Just saying. I'd be leery of giving an adjuster unsupervised access to a crashed vehicle. What about if it's in an auto body shop?

Basically any vehicle with modern on board computers that allow you to "link" to the vehicle will have a gps device which will allow authorities to track the vehicle. many of the newer vehicle have in deed taken it a step further and log all of the vehicles information prior to an accident. Even our 5 year old Mercury has this type of capability. In a way I agree, it is an infringement of privacy but this is how I look at it. Don't do anything you shouldn't be doing (excessive speeding, drinking and driving, texting/talking while driving, etc) and youll have nothing to worry about. In fact it could very well be the deciding factor someday in an incident I'm involved in. The odds of me bieng at fault in a wreck is very low, it's all the other yayhoos out there that don't pay a lick of attention that I worry about and in a case of "my word against his" with no other witnesses it may just save my ___.post-11861-138698207625_thumb.jpg

I have tried to find in my owners manual and service manual and haven't found it yet. Does anyone know if and when it was placed into the Dodge Rams ?Also, I knew they have this in some aftermarket alarm systems, (I believe Lo-Jack but not positive) and I understand that the cops can call the company and have them shut down a vehicle as it's going down the road. I fell this is something the cops would like in all these black boxes. But what if there is a glitch in the systems and it does this to thousands nationwide ... by mistake.

It goes WAAAAAAAYYYYYY farther than just tracking you!!! Hackers can actually Hack your car..................While under way. http://www.infowars.com/darpa-computer-geek-talks-about-hacking-cars/ http://www.infowars.com/hackers-demonstrate-how-easy-it-is-to-carjack-a-vehicle-remotely/ It is suspected that the government is doing this to murder whistleblowers now as well. http://planet.infowars.com/worldnews/usnews/rolling-stone-journalist-michael-hastings-body-was-cremated-against-his-familys-wishes There are stories of petty thieves hacking into and stealing cars or items or just to do it to make a statement. I have seen mainstream stories relating to this recently. GM has had it for years with the addition of onstar and I have read that every vehicle with an on board GPS unit has it and is definitely traceable.

• Like 1

GM has been using them sense 93-94, they looked like a part of the radio or maybe the amp, bolted behind the ashtray on the radio housing. ford has been using them sense around 00-01. they are data recorders. most are so integrated into the car removing would likely limp mode your car. being the i was in the auto industry for a few years. i've has some interactions with these. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/75364317/Event-Data-Recorder-Vehicle-List That list is not the complete list of vehicles.

• Like 2