• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Edge Comp Tap

:hyper: Finally got a comp for my 02. I'm reading the directions and I'm having trouble deciphering where and what wire to tap. " Top wire closest to engine block". Anyone know what color this one is? Stock VP the engine is an H.O. Also, the instructions say nothing about the ground wire, can this go anywhere? Where did you guys that have one put it.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, ten pages into the search someone directed me to the Juice installation page from Edge. Alot better picture than the Comp page.

just in case you still don't figure it out, there is a wire that leads to the VP44 under the TPS. You would need to remove the 3 bolts to get any access to the wire. It may also help to remove the intake bolts as well to gain more access. I do not remember the color wire, but it should be the only wire. Ground can go either to a bolt for the TPS or to battery negative. Most will recommend battery negative...

I "think" i got it. Top wire set, looks like it runs to the center of the Injector tubes, there are two wires in the bundle, i tapped the one closest to the engine block. Unit powers on and no check engine light so i know the power and map is connected ok, test drove it and i dont know if it is all there. I had an EZ before. I dont have that "WHOA" feel to it. Should I? How do I know if my tap is good?

- - - Updated - - -

:nono: I know, search before asking a stupid question. Ive got 12 v at the tap, so all is good. Just thought there would be more on the bottom end, stock turbo, stock injectors. I think she will run once i get the turbo spooled up, didnt have quite the room testing it in town.

I second the stealth plate. I had a wire tap before and had nothing but problems getting a good connection there. It was especially bad in the winter when they put that crap on the road. Not to mention, if you have a warranty on the VP, a wire tap will almost always void the warranty. You should notice a fair amount of more black smoke in the bottom end before your turbo lights. This is if you have it tapped correctly.

Stealth plate is on the way, the comp got here before the plate did I was just itching to get it hooked up. I dunno, i guess i was expecting a real butt kicker. So far i'm not feeling the wow factor. Gonna recheck and give it a try out of the city tomorrow

HEY! DO NOT ever expect to hear from any of us to tell you to use the search function. There are no stupid questions! Also, I have had just a regular connector on my VP44 and no stealth plate. No special precautions taken either. Have had it tapped like since I've owned the truck. It was tapped before I got it. A year or so after owning the truck got rid of my comp and still had no problems. Now I've got another comp again on the same tap, still no problems. Not saying the stealth plate is overkill, but the connector still has not done me wrong! It may down the road some day, but until that time happens, I'm not buying a stealth plate. Also, I have not noticed much of a power increase at low speeds. I've got it on 1x1 right now to keep the smoke down. Any other setting, I atleast get a haze. But then again, I've also got 75hp injectors too. If you put it on 5x5 and atleast get into 3rd gear lockup, and accel hard, you should smoke hard. If I hit it hard on 5x5 taking off from a stop I will smoke the block out!

That's the thing. Its on an 02 H.O. Six speed. I'm not smoking the block out in any gear. I got a good puff with my EZ going from fourth to fifth and a bit into sixth. I wouldnt say i had mosquito killing smoke from the comp now. Would I get 12v at the tap if I didnt get the right wire?

• Owner

All tapped for the Edge Comp on 5x3 and +50HP Vulcan Performance Injectors just a bit haze to light smoke. But When I'm capable of... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8290-I-think-I-finally-caught-up-with-ISX-for-a-day-run! post-2-138698207683_thumb.jpg I'm not going to argue much... As why I suggest the Stealth plate more is because I've seen the document where they say tap the wire (if I'm not mistaken the one closest to the engine) and found a few people with pumps where the other wire was correct. Weird but it did happen. The Stealth plate just keeps from these weird things from happening and guessin' .

mike, when you say 5x3 are you running power level 5 with a low end response level of 3? or power level 3 with low response setting 5? id like to mimic what you are doing

5 is the first level, or power. 3 is sub-level. Sub-level is your low boost fueling.
  • Like 1

• Owner

Correct. 5x3 5 - Is the main level which happens to be the highest setting of 120 HP.

1. 40 HP 2. 60 HP 3. 80 HP 4. 100 HP 5. 120 HP

3 - Is the sublevel or how fast the Edge will fuel compared to boost pressure.

1. 33% of stock fuel until 20 PSI of boost pressure 2. 50% of stock fuel until 15 PSI of boost pressure 3. 67% of stock fuel until 10 PSI of boost pressure 4. Some extra fuel at 0 PSI of boost pressure 5. Full fuel at 0 PSI of boost pressure

These setting holds true for both Edge Comp and Edge Juice products except the Juice has a different place for the sublevel. Edge Comp you hold the power switch for 2-3 seconds and then release then the sub-level will be displayed for the main level you last had set. The level bars will blink in a quick frequency. Now you can adjust the sublevel turn the power off and back on to enable the new setting.
  • Like 1

:hyper: Ok, Got the BD Stealth plate on and it works now. My tap wasn't real good. I would hold it up and test it with a meter and get 12v, but after putting the aps bracket back on it would move it enough to not connect. I didnt have the EZ tap thing, i had one of the blue crimp deals, well the wire being small i really didnt want to cut the wire so i didnt give it enough force to get a good tap. The plate sure made it easier. Got smoke now! I'm not after smoke but i was using it as an indication of weather power was there or not. Have you guys noticed a big difference in mileage using 5x3 vs. 5x5? This tank im running on full Hot Mguillicuddy and the power is pretty nice but the mileage wont be that great.
  • Like 1

• Owner

You might find the 4x1 effects the 5x5. This is a known Edge Comp program bug. I typically run the sublevels all matching. Also remember 1-3 are defuel modes. So with sublevel 1 you only have 33% of stock fuel till 20 PSI of boost. With the RV275's you should be OK and nearly smokeless at 5x3 or 4x3.

• Like 1

You might find the 4x1 effects the 5x5. This is a known Edge Comp program bug. I typically run the sublevels all matching. Also remember 1-3 are defuel modes. So with sublevel 1 you only have 33% of stock fuel till 20 PSI of boost. With the RV275's you should be OK and nearly smokeless at 5x3 or 4x3.

ok ill try that sir :)

• 2 weeks later...