• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can't explain my drastic mileage increase

• Staff
:think: Been driving about a year after the 0216 code came up. It never came up again till a few days ago so I increased fuel pressure to 21-22 from 18 and throwing 2 quarts of 2 cycle with every fill up to help the VP.I have a significant increase in miles :) hauling the same heavy camper on the same almost exact 3 day long road trip sometimes going 3 times a year.. It's showing a little over a 1 mile per gallon increase to 15.3 from just under 14.:think:I thought the vp should give bad miles when the timing piston starts to wear (0216 error code), but there's no white smoke and no hard starts. runs really good.

• Owner

A drop in cetane (2 cycle oil) helps with increasing BTU's. Possible increase in manifold temp could help with MPG's as noted between these two runs. Warmer air does improve MPG's. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8290-I-think-I-finally-caught-up-with-ISX-for-a-day-run!?p=80081#post80081 http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8290-I-think-I-finally-caught-up-with-ISX-for-a-day-run!?p=80399#post80399

• Staff

thank you fellow diesel fans for the thoughts....... I forgot to say.... it runs really good but I did get one stutter on the freeway. Just for a split second, it prompted me to do the key trick to see if 0216 came back and it did after not seeing it for a year.No stutter afterward for the rest of the 1300 miles left to go with the heavy slide-in camper :think:. It does run good otherwise. No modes on the truck except the usual fuel system, i.e. big lines all the way, raptor 100 , no in tank screens, 90 gph pre filter. Filters were new btw.

• Staff

Thank you..... I think the engine is just getting broke in while the VP is on it's way out. :) It's got 75,000 miles on 'er now sooo.Oh yeah... I almost forgot....I put in one qt. of synth 2 stroke an one qt. of dino 2 stroke. Try it you guys might find better smoother mileage.

Thank you..... I think the engine is just getting broke in while the VP is on it's way out. :) It's got 75,000 miles on 'er now sooo. Oh yeah... I almost forgot....I put in one qt. of synth 2 stroke an one qt. of dino 2 stroke. Try it you guys might find better smoother mileage.

I have a quart of amsoil 2 cycle injector oil iv thought about adding along with my walmart 2troke oil I may try it

• Staff

I have a quart of amsoil 2 cycle injector oil iv thought about adding along with my walmart 2troke oil I may try it

Let me know what you find. As for myself I was surprised as to the extra fuel in the tank when I got to where I was going. I make that run a lot lately. With mixing the synth 2 stoke and dino 2 stroke (one qt. of each on fill up) It was quite surprised how well the truck ran.

Let me ask a dumb question. Do you add 1/2 gallon to your fuel total when figuring out your mileage? I have never been a big believer in 2 stroke oil. I might be wrong but my trucks made it pretty far without it. I always found fuel pressure to be a bigger factor in vp life than anything else. If a tank (34 gallons) of fuel cost $120 ish and you are adding $15 in 2 stroke to it, you have to get 10% better mileage just to break even. At least with walmart oil at $12 a gallon you only need to get a 3% increase to break even. For reference, a 1mpg increase on a 20mpg truck is a 5% increase. I really just don't see what the gain is.I am aware that some people believe the vp44 needs the added lubricity from the 2 stroke oil. It has not been my experience that my vp44's lasted longer with 2 stroke than without.