• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Whats going on here?

Alright, so ran up into the forest yesterday for an evening trip. Out and about traversing the mountain roads, no problem. Got dark so headed down. Got to the highway and the truck did something funny..I got to about 45-50 and it sounded like it was making a quick and short rev. As if I was the one doing it with the pedal. I slowed down, turned the comp off, checked the trans. temp gauge. All was well. Sped back up, got to the speed again and did it again. This time I fueled it more and it went faster and shifted after that.Stopped by the sister in laws, which was about 10 min. away. Visited for about an hour or so and then headed home. Shifted fine and turned the comp back on. Still shifts fine. Fluke? Or 'am I going to be one of those lucky guys soon to have to replace my alt. or APPS?

Alright, so ran up into the forest yesterday for an evening trip. Out and about traversing the mountain roads, no problem. Got dark so headed down. Got to the highway and the truck did something funny.. I got to about 45-50 and it sounded like it was making a quick and short rev. As if I was the one doing it with the pedal. I slowed down, turned the comp off, checked the trans. temp gauge. All was well. Sped back up, got to the speed again and did it again. This time I fueled it more and it went faster and shifted after that. Stopped by the sister in laws, which was about 10 min. away. Visited for about an hour or so and then headed home. Shifted fine and turned the comp back on. Still shifts fine. Fluke? Or 'am I going to be one of those lucky guys soon to have to replace my alt. or APPS?

Check out the sticky torque converter lock/unlock issues

• Owner

The reason why it won't work is because let say the diode is installed so only 12 volt positive comes through like normal. Ok now let say a diode in the alternator fails either open or shorted. Now you created a ripple that travels up and down (funky kind of square wave). So the output diode will most likely mirror this behavior with every time the wave swing down it shuts off power flow. It hard to say without seeing the input wave form to know what the output is like.As for Hex0rz post I would start by checking alternator output for AC noise.

I had the same issue going on when I bought my truck a little over 2 years ago. I was told that the alternator sent funky signals through ground wires via RF frequency. So I moved, cleaned up or replaced all grounds I could find. I havn't had the issue since. Not sure if what I did worked or if it was just a fluke to. LOL

• Owner

I had the same issue going on when I bought my truck a little over 2 years ago. I was told that the alternator sent funky signals through ground wires via RF frequency. So I moved, cleaned up or replaced all grounds I could find. I havn't had the issue since. Not sure if what I did worked or if it was just a fluke to. LOL

Change you thinking. Don't move and alter ing to over come the AC noise. Why not just kill the AC noise source by fixing the alternator and be done with it. Because 99% of the time if you unhook the alternator and take a test drive the problem is gone so that alternator typically will be the problem.
  • Like 1