• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How much farther can I go power wise?

So far, I have what it says in my signature. Intake, Exhaust, and 75hp Injectors. The transmission was supposedly "rebuilt" according to the guy I bought it from. I bought the truck with 196K last year in February, and now it has 226K. When I bought it, I installed a Superchips Flashpaq, and ran it in Tow Performance (40hp) all the time. I sold the Flashpaq and bought the 75hp DDP injectors. The transmission doesn't hook up very well until the torque converter locks. Once the torque converter locks, the truck pulls hard and does very well. Im looking to get into another chip, most likely an Edge Juice w/ Attitude. Im expecting that running the Edge with the injectors is going to take a huge toll on the transmission. Im looking to do a 5 speed swap in the upcoming future, but for now, I want to know how well the transmission will hold up with both the Edge and Injectors. I tow regularly about 5500-6500lbs, but I try not to drive the truck like I stole it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If the tranny was rebuilt to stock specs you are living on borrowed time. Personally I would keep the auto, for $1500 you can have a fairly bullet proof rig within your power range with a simple TQ/VB swap.Go with a standard Edge Comp over the Juice as you already have gauges.

You say your trans does not hook up very well until it locks, does that mean you can feel it slipping? Or any shudder? Even a fresh transmission rebuilt to OEM specs does not do well with much above stock HP levels. On my former 00 my stock trans would not even hold up to level 5 on my Smarty. Gave me torque convertor shudder in a bad way. I removed it and towed many many miles in stock form before it gave up the ghost. Without a build sheet and knowing what has been done to your truck there is no way to really know what it's good for, but you can tell a lot just by listening to it. As long as it isn't slipping under acceleration your probably ok for a while. How long is anybodys guess. A trans temp gauge would be good insurance especially if you tow frequently. With any kind of mods to the engine it would be a wise investmentHey Bill, LOVE the avatar!! "Good morning Sam!"

Thanks, always one of my favorites, actually all of the old Looney Tunes were good. Just don't make em like they used to.:thumbup2:

You got that right! They said the Looney Tunes were too violent, those same people need to turn on the TV and pay a little more attention to what's being put out there now a days. Especially some of the "adult themed" cartoons. They put them on the cartoon network and TBS yet they expect kids to not want to watch them...it really pi$$es me off the garbage they air. I've got a small list of programs I let my kids watch and the rest is OFF LIMITS. OK, rant over, sorry bout that :ashamed:

I've got 75hp injectors and an Edge comp. I run it on 5x5 all the time. I turn it off when pulling my 5th wheel. I've got a somewhat built tranny, nothing billet. Holds fine and does not slip. Keep an eye on temps.I do not necessarily drive it like I stole it either, but sometimes I give her a rip and she handles it.If you go any higher with your mods than this, your gonna wanna upgrade to diff. turbo and probably start looking at doing head studs, etc.

You say your trans does not hook up very well until it locks, does that mean you can feel it slipping? Or any shudder? Even a fresh transmission rebuilt to OEM specs does not do well with much above stock HP levels. On my former 00 my stock trans would not even hold up to level 5 on my Smarty. Gave me torque convertor shudder in a bad way. I removed it and towed many many miles in stock form before it gave up the ghost. Without a build sheet and knowing what has been done to your truck there is no way to really know what it's good for, but you can tell a lot just by listening to it. As long as it isn't slipping under acceleration your probably ok for a while. How long is anybodys guess. A trans temp gauge would be good insurance especially if you tow frequently. With any kind of mods to the engine it would be a wise investment Hey Bill, LOVE the avatar!! "Good morning Sam!"

It doesn't feel like slipping or shudder, it just feels like the torque converter isn't giving me near the power that the engine is actually producing. It feels slushy.

It doesn't feel like slipping or shudder, it just feels like the torque converter isn't giving me near the power that the engine is actually producing. It feels slushy.

That's what 1st and 2nd feels like in mine too, till 3rd locks then she takes off, just like you said. But, my tranny is on her way out and she shudders when I lug the engine in low RPMs and slips when I romp on it and slams into 4th if I don't let off the throttle...time for a rebuild

If you tow and are going to do a manual swap why not get a 6 speed? There is a reason the 5 speed no longer exists.

Because the gear ratios are similar to the 47re..... I have been keeping an eye out for a 5600 almost as long as I've been driving a Cummins. Either in a parts truck or seperate if the price is right but everytime I have come across one the asking price was more than I was willing to spend. A perfect find would be someone wanting to swap from a manual to an auto. Most people wouldn't even think about swapping to an auto but they are out there, either due to health reasons or plans to drag race. I just need to find one of those people. JR

• Staff

Because the gear ratios are similar to the 47re..... I have been keeping an eye out for a 5600 almost as long as I've been driving a Cummins. Either in a parts truck or seperate if the price is right but everytime I have come across one the asking price was more than I was willing to spend. A perfect find would be someone wanting to swap from a manual to an auto. Most people wouldn't even think about swapping to an auto but they are out there, either due to health reasons or plans to drag race. I just need to find one of those people. JR

The gear ratios are similar, and again gearing has gone away from that. Think about that spacing when towing and no torque converter to unlock. What about a G56? As long as your not trying to push 600hp they are a good trans.

The gear ratios are similar, and again gearing has gone away from that. Think about that spacing when towing and no torque converter to unlock. What about a G56? As long as your not trying to push 600hp they are a good trans.

To be honest I've never really looked for one, I have heard of people putting them in 2nd gen trucks but figured since they have not been out nearly as long they would be harder to find and probably worth more than the NV's are. Is that not true? JR

• Staff

To be honest I've never really looked for one, I have heard of people putting them in 2nd gen trucks but figured since they have not been out nearly as long they would be harder to find and probably worth more than the NV's are. Is that not true? JR

They have been out for 9 model years now, vs only 5 of the NV5600 with the big input shaft. Still not as many as a NV4500, but like I said if you are doing the swap why not go 6 speed. I understand it's a little more elbow grease to get it into a 2nd gen, but nothing crazy. There are 2 G56's, the early with lower gearing and the later with higher gearing.
  • Like 1

That's what 1st and 2nd feels like in mine too, till 3rd locks then she takes off, just like you said. But, my tranny is on her way out and she shudders when I lug the engine in low RPMs and slips when I romp on it and slams into 4th if I don't let off the throttle...time for a rebuild

Mine doesn't shudder a single bit. Once it locks up, it locks good and stays locked. The torque converter locks at 27mph in 3rd gear sometimes and is able to stay locked at just around 1000rpm. 1st and 2nd gear are gutless though.

- - - Updated - - -

If you tow and are going to do a manual swap why not get a 6 speed? There is a reason the 5 speed no longer exists.

If I had the money, I would find the best transmission, build it, and throw it in my truck. As of now, I just have the budget to fund a 5 speed. My buddy has a 97 that all he does with it tow gooseneck trailers, and he has the 5 speed. He loves the thing, and I've sat in it while he was towing. The gear rations aren't ideal, but they're more than suitable to tow a cummins on a gooseneck.

If you have an aftermarket VB and TC ... Can't see too much issue with current power. Heat is number one killer , then slipping of the TC clutch ... Then slipping of the tranny internal clutches between gears ... The first two you will know about when it happens .... The third you can check by dropping pan every now and then on amount of clutch material ..., but probably not too much if an issue if you have a good VB.

• 1 month later...

You got that right! They said the Looney Tunes were too violent, those same people need to turn on the TV and pay a little more attention to what's being put out there now a days. Especially some of the "adult themed" cartoons. They put them on the cartoon network and TBS yet they expect kids to not want to watch them...it really pi$$es me off the garbage they air. I've got a small list of programs I let my kids watch and the rest is OFF LIMITS. OK, rant over, sorry bout that :ashamed:

I agree about garbage on tv but my wife seems to like it:cookoo: