• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tried everything short of "star torque"

(Torque till you see stars) I've read ALL the related threads and I've tried everything I can think of to get 3 fuel lines to seal at the connector tube joint. Connector tubes got new o-rings lubed with engine oil and pressed in by hand until "click" indicating fully seated past o-ring. Inspected the compression ends of the fuel lines and connector tubes and no signs of damage or over tightening. I lightly polished the fuel line ends with scotchbrite pad. Hand tightened all lines to ensure proper alignment and then bleed the system of air. After bleeding torqued to 28 ft/lb and have small weeping leak at 1, 3 & 4 (go figure, all the connections used for bleeding air from system). Since then I've, loosened the nuts and fuel line clamps, hand tightened and re-torqued & increased torqued to 30 ft lbs then 33 ft/lbs twice and nothing has stopped the weeping leaks. Is there anything else to do at this point before I just start cranking on them? I'm fairly certain (99.99%) the o-rings aren't damaged which only leaves the compression joint as the source of the leak. I let it set for 36 hours to see if there was going to be a hard starting issue and it fired right up. I hate to just start reefing on them because I know better but at this point the only other option is new fuel lines and connector tubes with o-rings. Sorry for the long post but want you to know I've tried all routine suggestions.

I have found on several ocassions that the fuel in between the fuel line nut and the cross tube will bleed out over the course of several days causing the appearance of a fuel leak that doesn't actually exist. Best advice is to just drive it for a few days and get it warmed up good and let the fuel burn and evaporate out of the void between the nut and tube in the head. It will be wet around the line nut but will eventually dry out. Of course if you have fuel running down the block while it is running then you have an issue.

The o-rings are there to prevent air from getting into the fuel system ( why you get hard starts when they are bad). There is no way you could of damaged them by over tightening. Personally i tighten mine with a 3/4" wrench until they are tight. I dont get crazy with them but hey are tight. Another thing to try is to loosen 1,3,4 on the connector tube and the vp and then push the line into the connector tube while tightening the nut. But first drive it for a while and see if it leaks. Also check the nuts after a couple of heat cycles on the engine

• Owner

I normally do like Wild & Free and seat everything good and snug and take off for a good long ride. Get it nice and hot come back mop the manifold and check. Then check it again the next day typically the fuel is gone and everything is dried up. But Wild & Free is right it's like there is a small pool of fuel behind the injector line nut that starts expanding and bleeding out over the manifold like a slow weep. Usually last 1 day and its gone.

I really appreciate all the input. I'll give it a couple days and see if it is in fact just fuel seeping out between the o-ring and the nut. Could very well be since it is a very small amount of fuel. Ran it around today for 20-30 minutes and it just created a damp spot about 2 inches in diameter on a folded paper rag.