• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New RV 7 pin plug...

I bought a new 7 pole RV plug for the trailer project. I wired it all up. The &^%$#! plug would not go into the trailer receptacle on my 01 truck. I don't have the packaging but think it came from WalMart or Harbor Freight. The noticeable thing about it is the silver (plated) contacts which extend beyond the cutouts in the plug body. I tried beveling edges, went over it with a digital caliper... every dimension is +.001 strong. I removed the round center pin just to try but still no go. After taking the wires out, I was able to force it into the socket... but I'm not going to use it. Before I went to the store, I looked in a box with my spare brake controller (took back off my half ton when I had to give it to my ex-w in the settlement... it was not bought with a trailer set up, she didn't get it with a trailer set up.) It shouldn't have been in that box but I found an almost new trailer plug... This used plug fit & I used it. It had all brass contacts & brass screws, everything. I have no clue what trailer I had it on... maybe my old stock trailer that I sold. I thought the plug went with it but maybe not. If I had to guess, I'd say the non-fitting plug is foreign made on metric machines. I wasted a lot of time on that plug so an very unhappy.

The new plug that was + on the tolerances appears to be from WalMart. At least the one on the display in automotive had that kind of over wide contacts. I'm just Amazed that what measures to be .001 big is that critical a fit. MY take away... is to test that part immediately, no matter what the source... darn near everything is made in China. If it does not fit, back in the box & return it, PRONTO.

Yeah, I'm sure. You should not have to drive the plug in. I've used RV plugs since the early 1980s... never had this problem before or with any other plug. And the used plug works fine, as do the ones on my horse trailer, camper, 16' landscaper trailer & the extension harness that plugs into the OEM plug to power the RV plug I installed in the bed to power the 5th wheel without running over the tail gate (I ran the harness down inside the fender to the OEM under bumper receptacle). My wife climbed into the bed & the WM plug would not go into the receptacle in the bed at all.

• Staff

For all my trailer needs I go to the local MOM & POP shop, Freeway trailer supply in Escondido. They have the right stuff at a fair price and they know what their talking about. NAPA is over priced on most of their parts and a lot of it is made in China and when I go into Walmart they ask if I want to super size my order.