• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I'm currious if you got a result on the error codes? :confused:

I did sort of. Just get that code that you say is a companion code. I've tried a few times and that one comes up so I wait and the odometer readout comes back on without giving any more codes. What does that mean?:confused2:

I did sort of. Just get that code that you say is a companion code. I've tried a few times and that one comes up so I wait and the odometer readout comes back on without giving any more codes. What does that mean?:confused2:

That is normal on a 2000 and maybe some 2001 CTD's. I've talked to many other people with 2000's and have yet to find someone who's on-board diagnostics will check both computers (ECM and PCM). You will only get one pdone before the odometer returns. Our 2000 trucks only display the PCM codes so if there is an ECM code you will just get a 1693 companion code telling you the ECM has a stored code. You'll need a code reader to check the ECM code indicated by the 1693. I had a 1693 for 6 years before I finally bought a code reader and found out it was a problem with the grid heater. Edited by edcasey
  • Like 1

• Owner

Thanks Edcasey... That is a great way of putting the P1693 error code. Little more insite on the key trick it went back to as early as OBD I computers and function as flash codes. This includes the 1st Gen trucks. But the key trick was omitted in the 98.5 and 99 I figure because of the rush to retrofit the Dodge with computers (Cummins and Dodge) so by 2000 they figure out how to enable it but didn't quite get it right all the time. I've found several trucks here in Idaho that function fine for the key trick (2000-2001 models) So not all truck had this issue...