• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Amsoil stock air filter 2001 plugged prematurly ???

I know most of you use a BHF but this question is about the stock filter. I bought a Amsoil air filter 8000 miles back. Supposed to last 100k if blown out every 25k. Supposed to be made with some super fiber. My problem is at 8000 miles the restriction gage pops 65% plugged non towing. The filter is CLEAN! no dirt to speak of on it at all. I am confused.?????

Did you try to reset the filter minder to see if it drops back down?It could be very possible to have it drawn down that far if you drive in dusty climates. You may have to blow it out sooner than the 25k mark. Does Amsoil give any specific do's and don'ts on blowing the filter out? Blowing filters out with compressed air always makes me nervous. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

• Owner

There has been tales of the stock air box being restrictive. That where the whole idea of swiss cheese the box or the stinky slinky came from. Was to improve the air flow to the stock box. As for the filter pulling down the minder it possible to have plugged the filter up already and there is no way to blow out the debris or dust. This is a problem because the more and more you keep trying to get flow through the filter the worse and worse the filter will get at filtering out the fine dust and then you doing damage to the truck. Hence why I stick to paper elements like stock panels or BHAF because if there is any issues just chuck it in the trash and install a fresh filter and not worry.So in your case I would say time to toss that AMSOil filter out and now install a regular paper filter and save your money.

Have you actually inspected the filter, filter box & tube through the fender? In my area, mice look for nice warm places. I've had to screen all air intakes. (I like aluminum gutter guard which is pretty malleable.) My neighbor found his air filter full of acorns & my old Chevy one ton... before I screened... the mice dragged a whole roll of paper towels into the corrugated hose (from the trailer parked next to it, packing for a trip)... was blowing black smoke under load like a steam train!I've had some luck holding paper pleats down & tapping a filter against a tree. Flexing a paper element will let a lot of crapola fall out.It may be that this filter is more restrictive than OEM.

I have covered all the mentioned items. I reset the restriction meter, drove to town normal driving and meter again went to 65%. The filter is not dirty, I can see light through it and there is only trace dust in the bottom of the pleats. The only thing I can think of is this super Amsoli fiber is to restrictive. Going to install a Napa gold today and see what happens. Have never seen one of these restrictor gauges go bad. Also in my fleet experience I never blow out a filter. You just end up with dust on the wrong side.

• Like 1

Also in my fleet experience I never blow out a filter. You just end up with dust on the wrong side.

Exactly my thoughts. A "reuseable" paper filter is about as scary as a reuseable oiled air filter.... I think your on the right track, however IMO a Fleetguard is the best you can get. (Fleetguard IS Cummins) Russ also brings up an excellent point. A restrictive intake upstream of the filter would have the same effect. JR now Free

Replaced the filter today with a Napa gold. Put truck under heavy load at max rpms through the gears. Meter reads 0% plugged. $48.00 Amsoil filter went in the trash. Napa was having a sale on all Gold series filters. New Napa was $12.00 normally 32.00

• Like 1