• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Another fuel filter canister leaking question

My filter canister is leaking, and am going to replace the o-ring in the heater element hoping that will fix it. But, if that's not it, I'm afraid the canister might be cracked at the very top on the aft side. So my question is, how important is the fuel heater? My choices for getting rid of the stock canister are the $360 kit from Rich at Glacier Diesel, which includes the fuel heater and WIF sensor, the non-heated version of that kit for $209, or the non-heated spin-on kit from Glacier for $150. I'm just looking for advice on the need for a fuel heater. I do live in Northern AZ, and it does get rather cold here in the winter. Thanks for the advice in advance. I like the heated version kit from Glacier, but I don't need the big line kit that comes with it, as I already have that installed from my stock filter to the VP. Here's some links: http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK109852-BLKH $359 kit http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK109852-BLK $209 kit (same as above minus heater http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FS1253-K $149 spin-on kit no heater I do know that Geno's has the same kit as Glacier for $130, but would like to give Rich my business as he's a standup guy to deal with.

• Owner

Posted Image

I love the kit and its just what you need but for some reason I don't see the price being right. I'm sure you could build your own bracket, buy a filter base from NAPA for much less and spin on a filter for about $100 total. Even all the fitting and hose would be cheap from Eric at Vulcan performance. I just can't see $350 worth of parts there.

Do I need a fuel heater? If not, I can do the kit without the heater for $209 from Glacier. I'm just curious how important is the fuel heater. I could fabricate a bracket no problem with some left over T6061 aluminum I have laying around, and attach a filter base to it, but that doesn't solve the WIF sensor issue or the heater question. Rich's kit above basically looks like an attached heater/WIF sensor to a base with its own spin on threads for the fleetguard filter.

Do I need a fuel heater? If not, I can do the kit without the heater for $209 from Glacier. I'm just curious how important is the fuel heater. I could fabricate a bracket no problem with some left over T6061 aluminum I have laying around, and attach a filter base to it, but that doesn't solve the WIF sensor issue or the heater question. Rich's kit above basically looks like an attached heater/WIF sensor to a base with its own spin on threads for the fleetguard filter.

I live here in the PNW like Mike and I've never had a problem yet with fuel being too cold. We get to 0 in the winter sometimes and still have no problems. On those days its a multi-cycling of the grids and block heater, thats it... Unless you live in an area where it gets below 0, I would not worry. Maybe if some of the ND boys would chime in like W&F he could give you some advice as he can see some temps that will freeze a turd in a dead eskimo! The other thing then, would to just have a filter block for 2 filters. One for filtration and the other to seperate the water out...

Looking like the verdict is fuel heater not needed. Time to start fabricating a new filter system in the stock location. Shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the replies.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the difference between a basic fuel filter and a fuel/water separator filter like on the FASS or AirDog? I see that GDP's kit uses the Fleetguard FS1001 which is listed as a fuel/water separator. I'm sure it's apples/apples but wanted to check.