• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Might of screwed my my transmission? Help please?

1999 Dodge 2500, 24Valve, 4x4, Automatic Transmission, I have dropped the transmission pan to do an oil and filter change. Got all the oil drained out and filter removed. I then proceed to adjust the rear band. I am new the adjusting bands, but consider my self a good mechanic(until now), So I back off the tension nut. set the torque wrench to 72 lbs. Starting turning. It getting really tight and then the adjusting screw starts to strip, so I stop. I have realized that I have the wrench on 72 FOOT pounds not INCH pounds!:banghead::banghead::banghead:. I only got to about 30ft pounds when it striped. After about two hours of trying I have got the adjusting screw removed. Its trash. I got one on order. The band are loose and have movement, Do you guys think I screwed any thing up?? Can over tighting the bands hurt anything that I can not see? Any help is much needed. Thanks.

Did you strip the threads in the trans case (aluminum) or the adjuster bolt (steel)? I would expect the aluminum to be buggered, too. Band will be fine. Might have to use one of those thread saver thingies (Blonde moment) Ed

I never actually stripped the threads, just the socket head. I did inspect the aluminum housing threads and they are fine. Just have to wait for the new stud and lock nut come in. Would there be a place local that might have one? transmission shop? I looked at oriellys and napa for one but came up with nothing. Thanks.

You say the threads in the case are fine then I think you dodged a bullet and should be fine.

Yes, threads in the case are fine. I got the new stud and lock nut in yesterday and adjusted both the rear and front bands. Filled her up and took a test drive. I did notice that it was not shifting into 2nd from 1st till about 2500rpms. Getting back from the test drive, it was still low on fluid. I topped it off and that fixed that issue. 1st to 2nd is now shifting at about 2000 rpms. It is still kinda having a hard time shifting into 3rd from 2nd. It wont shift till about 2300 rpms. the speed limit in my town is on 30mph, so when im cruising a 30mph it wants to stay in 2nd gear. I can get it to shift up if I bump the throttle. But if i'm getting on the highway or up to higher speeds, it will shift into 3rd no problem just not till 2300 rpms. Is this a band adjustment or??? Thanks,

• Staff

I's not the band adjustment. Shifting occurs when line pressure becomes greater than governor pressure. The shift points can be adjusted by the transmission 'kickdown' cable. The more play in the cable the lower the shift point, it's like taking your foot of the throttle with out doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

OHonestly I would change your govenor pressure sensor and the govenor pressure solinoid. Get a borg warner solinoid they totally change the way the trans shifts. I have done almost a dozen on 2nd and 3rd gens and all the owners are impressed with the way it shifts. Go to cascadetransmissionparts.com

X2 on this! Amazing the difference it made in the way mine shifted...