• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My Catch can/ vapor canister

I just threw this catch can together with some 2" abs pipe and fittings from home depot for about $30. The hose was previously hanging down just past my front sway bar so it didn't get any oil on the engine or rad but it would still drip on my driveway and gunk up my steering linkage, front axle, underside of the engine and I had a habit of hitting my forehead on it whenever I would climb under the front of my truck...so I decided to make a canister to contain the oil but still let the gasses out. It has a chunk of steel wool in front of the outlet to act as a filter and a brass drain fitting on the bottom. Inlet and outlet are 3/4 ID hose and it is zip tied securely to my sway bar and steering box brace. I'll get some better pics of it later...

post-13361-138698210548_thumb.jpg

So its a modified version of the stock set up? Have you seen this....http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/42-crankcase-vent-mod This is a very simple set up and a ton of people have done it. This way you wont loose any oil and the fumes and everything is directed away from the front of the engine entirely.

• Owner

The problem with yours is be careful of the angle issues. http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/29-tsb-technical-service-bulletins/44-tsb-09-002-02-oil-overflow-from-the-front-crankcase-breather If you happen to be on downgrade and panic stop it will flood out your catch can and spill huge amount of oil. I've seen losses of up to 1 gallon before I made my version. Just from traveling down hill with a load of firewood and avoid hitting a deer or other vehicle stomp on the brakes and just make a huge mess of the front of the truck as the oil rushes forward and drain out the vent.

To each their own I suppose.

But like said above each their own...

As many things as I have learned and implemented on my truck here, That is one I cant make myself do. I dont want the pipe across the top of my engine. I guess I will just let my little brain keep turning on that one.

I agree, I didn't want the pipe across the engine either although I'm sure it serves it's purpose very well. If there was a one piece hose kit that took the same route I would consider getting it but the white plastic pipe just turns me off. Mine seems to be working well so far and I'm not really concerned about losing oil from being on a steep angle with my truck but that will be something to keep in mind if I ever do end up on a steep angle. As for looks, mine is simply a hose going into a canister and a hose coming out and it's tucked up out of the way and can't be seen unless you crawl under the truck. I may eventually remove or block off this whole breather set up and just add a small breather filter to my oil cap...oil stays in the engine, gasses escape. post-13361-138698210561_thumb.jpg

I may eventually remove or block off this whole breather set up and just add a small breather filter to my oil cap...oil stays in the engine, gasses escape. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6378[/ATTACH]

Nope, the oil vapor will just get spread across the top of your engine………….and all over the engine compartment!!! Good thing about that though; is that it'll keep rust at bay!! There's a reason that it's routed to the bottom of the truck…………………….and an even better reason why Mikes "MOD" moves it further back toward the bottom of the truck…………where the 3rd gen breather is!!!! Just saying of course!!!:cool::smart:

Dont get me wrong, I think that Mikes mod is a sound idea. It brings the line up which will contain the oil and still let the vapor escape. I just dont want the pipe across the top of the engine. I have thought about the 12v tappet cover but am not sure thats the answer either. Just dont know what I will do. On another note, my truck has no rust issues underneath due to the resemblance my truck has to the Exxon Valdez. Nothing like a leaky tappet cover, vacuum pump, and whatever else is leaking under there. This is all hopefully resolved in the near future. I do like the breather in the cap if it does not vent oil every where. Do you clean it regularly or just for the photo?

Still don't get all the elaborate contraptions for a fix as simple as adding a foot of hose or more to the existing one just to simply get it away from the radiator.The 3rd gens are no better, I can guarantee there have been hundreds or even thousands of pinion seals replaced that were not bad due to the location of the hose that dumps about 6 inches above the pinion housing on the front diff. I had to add hose to mine to get it away from the diff.For a huge group that looks for the best bang from mods this one is definitely not it, this is one mod that is as simple as old hose and the time and money going into these piping systems is definitely money and time that could be spent on more important things.If you don't like the drips then you all need to get a new rig with egr and engine vent recapture systems. That is a simple fix as well just a couple of signatures will fix you all right up no mess no fuss.......................:2cents:

Nothing wrong with being creative and putting your own twist to improve the functionality of something. Especially not worth throwing a guy under the bus over it. Whether he spent 3 bucks or 30, it's his truck and if he so chooses he could plumb it right into the dam cab and get high off the fumes and you or I won't have a say in the matter.

And that is my .02 cents.

Posted Image

JR

• Like 1

Doesn't PVC piping come in different colors??? I thought there was a grey and a black colored version.When my truck had the timing cover gasket leak, I extended the breather tube by about 6 inches………………..in an effort to eliminate it (the breather tube) as being a cause of the leak. It's still on there!!