• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vave Lash Adjustment Question

Mopartechnican, crankshaft dampener bolt being the one behind the crankcase vent correct? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the nut behind the engine breather cover is what holds the gear on the injection pump shaft. The vibration dampner is the big round thing on front of the crankshaft that the bottom serpentine belt pulley is behind, it has several bolts holding it to the crank shaft just pick one and turn the crank with one of those bolts.

Oh ok thanks Wild and Free!! I got it now thanks for clearing that up for me! So the only difference between using the dampener bolt versus the Alternator bolt is that the dampener bolt is easier right? Boy u can tell I'm new to this BWWWWAAA! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seemed from your questions you were still missing the basics so I backed up and tried to "simplify" no personal attack against anyone personally, I know a lot are not always on the same page with descriptions of parts. People use the alternator because it is easier as they don't have to crawl underneath several times trying to line up the mark on the IP gear and front cover if working alone, it can all be done from the top but the only direction you can turn the alt so the belt grabs good enough to turn the engine actually turns the engine backwards, But once you do get TDC I put a paint pen mark on the front cover an one on the dampner so it can be done from underneath and you just turn it over one full revolution and line up the marks from underneath while turning it over by the dampner bolts.
  • Like 1

but if you tried this on any other Cummins or a lot of other diesel engines for that matter you would have an engine that would develop major internal damage if it would even start because you need to set the injection timing since the injectors are cam fired and are timed via the adjustment procedure and by rotating the engine backwards would put you so far off it would be awefull.

So, since the camshafts are gear driven, how would it change the timing? You would have some gear lash, but that wouldn't amount to much.

Thanks ABennin! But your pic didn't come up. Also do u have one for BDC? for this one I can't make out in Mopar1973Man's pic. Thanks again!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I don't have a picture of that. The others explained it quite well though. It's pretty easy to do the valves, just take your time.