• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

APPS issue, i'm stumped

Hello all!

Ongoing issue with APPS. Truck developed heavy miss between 12 and 1600rpm wether truck is cold or at operating temp. No codes in computer, no CEL. Tested voltage of factory APPS (after trying resetting it) .54-.79, dropped to .51-.59, jumped to 1.02-1.73, dropped 1.51-1.57, jumped 2-2.7 etc. eratic voltage all the way to WOT at 3.81. ok, bad APPS. New timbo APPS installed per instruction, reset everything, started and miss is gone. smooth voltage .68-3.79. drove 1.5 miles and parked for three days. started back up, truck missed and loaped for ten seconds at idle (never happened before). idle cleared up, but same miss is back between 12 and 1600rpm. No CEL, no codes. Tested voltage of new APPS, same as before, dropping and jumping at same volts. Any ideas on what to check next? Thanks!

oh, its got 116,000 miles. The VP was changed at 54,000.

and parked for three days. started back up, truck missed and loaped for ten seconds at idle (never happened before). idle cleared up, but same miss is back between 12 and 1600rpm.

Is this a "daily" driver truck…………….or do you let her sit for days at a time???

There will be others here shortly that are more versed in 2nd gens than I am to help!!

If you contact Timbo, I hope you had better luck than I did. I Emailed regarding testing the new Timbo I installed and heard nothing back. I too had some problems but they cleared up fortunately - possibly connection not fully contacting. Anyway, no more problems with my Timbo APPS just yet.

Hello all!

Ongoing issue with APPS. Truck developed heavy miss between 12 and 1600rpm wether truck is cold or at operating temp. No codes in computer, no CEL. Tested voltage of factory APPS (after trying resetting it) .54-.79, dropped to .51-.59, jumped to 1.02-1.73, dropped 1.51-1.57, jumped 2-2.7 etc. eratic voltage all the way to WOT at 3.81. ok, bad APPS. New timbo APPS installed per instruction, reset everything, started and miss is gone. smooth voltage .68-3.79. drove 1.5 miles and parked for three days. started back up, truck missed and loaped for ten seconds at idle (never happened before). idle cleared up, but same miss is back between 12 and 1600rpm. No CEL, no codes. Tested voltage of new APPS, same as before, dropping and jumping at same volts. Any ideas on what to check next? Thanks!

oh, its got 116,000 miles. The VP was changed at 54,000.

I would love to help you but I got same problem only at higher rpms, put timbo apps got a bit better but problem is still there. No codes, but mine misses more with a load on, or its more noticeable. Get some literature from blue chip diesel on how to trouble shoot vp, it sounds like computer on top of vp can go bad without setting codes. That's what I think is going on with mine. Been tracing my problem for over two years now. Good luck:cheers:

Have y'all "pop-tested" your injectors???

No that would make since :cool:, I got all orings and copper washers to pull my injectors and adjust valves as soon as I check my apps and map sensor voltages, driving with voltmeter on correct wires. If it all checks out then that would be my next step.

• Owner

If anyone is going to point at a VP44 there is 2 causes for the PSG to fail. 1. Fuel pressure being too low and allowing the PSG to overheat and cause damage to itself. 2. Too high of AC noise levels and the AC power doing damage to the electronics of the VP44. #2 happens to be the most dismissed answer by "I just just bought a NEW alternator not a re manufactured." This still doesn't mean anything I've seen new alternators now (Bosch and ND's) both fail out of the box brand new. Still I highly suggest that you check for AC noise either with a DVM ant the battery terminal of the alternator or use a O-scope like here.

Everything is pointing to the VP's brains. Went ahead and got a VP from DAP ordered up, will update when installed. Thanks again for all the thoughts!

Don't mind me asking, which one did you get? looks like there are a few to chose from. Also I heard that you can ran SO instead HO for more power, not sure how to make it work, if you need a new ecm or just bigger injectors, just a thought, I now you already ordered it but I'm thinking out loud, if I end up getting one how hard is it to put SO pump for more power for same amount of money. Anyone?